Thread: Old guns, new life

Smile Old guns, new life

Hi all,
    For a while I've been concerned (maybe thats not the right word, but still, I noticed it and it annoyed me) by the odd scuffs, thin patches and Wear marks on my rifle and shotgun. Both are old guns and were well used when I bought them, though totally sound in operation.
    A few days ago I spotted Joed's advert for his CZ511 at what I reckoned was a good price. I hadn't been specifically looking for one, but I had the FAC slot and thought "why not?" Now, this rifle too had a few "character marks" all well and good, but there comes a point where exposing bare steel to the best of British weather is a bad idea.
    I'd been looking at Cerakote for the 270 and maybe shotgun barrels too, but I decided I just couldn''t justify the expense on old guns. Especially not now there was a third one to do!
    So I did some research, and on a dangerously impulsive whim I ordered myself a Duracoat kit. Duracoat is a 2-part spray coating, effectively a hard wearing paint (although I think there's a bit more to it than that!) The kit has everything you need, including a pretty aggressive degreaser and decent comprensive instructions. It even has a disposable compressed air sprayer, so you don't need an airbrush. After fully acquainting myself with the instructions and watching a couple of YouTube videos I took the plunge.
    Stripping each gun as far as I was happy with and then meticulously cleaning and re-cleaning everything before hanging the lot from the ceiling in my cellar. The paint and hardener are pre-measured, you just mix all of each one (or less as long as you keep the same ratio) and spray away like your normal cheap aerosol acrylic.
    I'm now eagerly awaiting the results, the curing takes an hour until handleable and 24 hours until reassembly, then a week to achieve "Full hardness". I'm sure a professional finish would be better than however my effort turns out, but this has cost me less than 25 per gun to do 3 myself, and seeing as they were all a bit shabby before I don't really have anything to lose! It might have been different if this was a brand new Blaser I was dealing with! At least they're now protected from rusting no matter how tidy (or not) the finish turns out.
    Most importantly, I have the satisfaction of having done a job myself and learnt from it.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

Blaser's should be speyed!, .. ER sorry sprayed.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Blaser's should be speyed!, .. ER sorry sprayed.
    Sorry

*other premium rifles are available
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    Blog

Well I've been and checked on everything. On the whole I'm very happy with the initial results. I have a few little drips and runs on the shotgun barrels and that's more or less it in terms of bad workmanship.
    Except for the scope, which I did as an "I've got some paint left" afterthought. It's fallen off the wire I hung it from and got all kind of cack stuck to the still sticky surface
    Warm water and a nail brush has got it out, but I doubt it'll be a nice smooth coat now!
    Blog

Photos??
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory." LLAP Leonard Nimoy 1931 - 2015

Quote Originally Posted by 375 mag View Post
    Photos??
    I should have done before and afters, I guess, but I was too keen to crack on at the time nd didn't think. I'll get some pictures up when it's all cured and put back together.
    I'm really excited for the BSA, it's got a lovely stock and the shabby metalwork did it no favours.
    Blog

A few pics. I'm not sure how well they'll show up, but the finish is good in the flesh. I particularly like it on the shotgun barrels, certainly doesn't look like a gun that only cost me 85!
    The last picture shows the new vs old quite well, you can see that I've done the magazine but the trigger guard and adjacent bits I didn't do (I didn't fancy taking the trigger apart and it seemed like a lot of masking for a little bit of paint!)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0733.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	244.4 KB 
ID:	61960

Name:	DSC_0731.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	242.4 KB 
ID:	61961

Name:	DSC_0730.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	208.1 KB 
ID:	61962

Name:	DSC_0728.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	254.2 KB 
ID:	61963

The dropped scope is totally FUBAR, aside from the finish looking like a 5 year old did it with a brush, the objective bell is dented badly and there's fog on one of the lenses where a seal has presumably been damaged. Luckily it was only a cheap second hand bushnell, so I'm treating myself to a new Vortex after Christmas.
    Last edited by SimpleSimon; 07-10-2015 at 19:25.
    Blog

nice, where did you get the paint?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaothead View Post
    nice, where did you get the paint?
    Paints & Coatings - DuraCoat Firearm Finishes - Caswell

This seems to be pretty much the only place in the UK selling it. I had easily enough for the 3 guns and the scope.
    Blog