Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No cannelure

No cannelure

Does this impact the crimping stage during reloading? If so is there a special procedure/tool that needs to be used to crimp other than standard crimping die?

Blog Entries
    No. You need to be sure of your seating depth though.
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

If by "Standard Crimping Die" you mean the roll type crimp that exists in many seating dies, I would say it is a waste of time to crimp into the side of the bullet. Crimping is good, but a Lee Factory Crimp Die is the only way to go. Using the FCD I crimp everything regardless of cannelure or not.~Muir

one thing you will need to do to get repeatable results is trim to the same length
    otherwise the FCD crimps slightly more or less brass with each case

Dont crimp, use neck tension to hold the bullet.
    There are two schools of thought on crimping rifle cases those that do and those that dont, both will tell you that their crimped/non crimped ammo is exceptionally accurate, im in the non crimp school, my thoughts being that crimping into a non cannelure bullet cant be good for accuracy, i dont use cannelured bullets.

Ian.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12-E54DC450-1391966-1280-100.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	154.1 KB 
ID:	61949crimped load @ 100m, non-cannelure bullets, lee crimp die

SD Regular
    What Muir says. In fact other than the yellow Popeye's pipe powder measures, the old style round tray hand primer tool and their lead melting pots (but that only 'cos it's not the rip off price charged for RCBS melter) this is the only bit of Lee kit that I own. The rest is junk in red and white packaging.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    What Muir says. In fact other than the yellow Popeye's pipe powder measures, the old style round tray hand primer tool and their lead melting pots (but that only 'cos it's not the rip off price charged for RCBS melter) this is the only bit of Lee kit that I own. The rest is junk in red and white packaging.
    So it would appear Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12-E54DC450-1391966-1280-100.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	154.1 KB 
ID:	61956

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    Dont crimp, use neck tension to hold the bullet.
    There are two schools of thought on crimping rifle cases those that do and those that dont, both will tell you that their crimped/non crimped ammo is exceptionally accurate, im in the non crimp school, my thoughts being that crimping into a non cannelure bullet cant be good for accuracy, i don't use cannelured bullets.

Ian.
    Ah, Ian! Your reasoning may seem intuitively correct but it's not. The evidence to the contrary is everywhere including that offered by shooters on this very site who have reported increased accuracy with smaller standard deviation and extreme spreads. Yes. People can report good accuracy with either crimped or non crimped loads but the standard deviation and ES reduction of crimped loads is well documented in magazines like "Rifle" and "Handloader" in the US.

As to crimping non cannelured bullets? It does absolutely no harm. View it from the bullet's perspective: After it's had 4, or 5, or 6 grooves forcibly swagged along it's length as a result of a 60K PSI kick in the a$$, the slight blemish made by the crimp die is probably the least of it's worries. ~Muir

PS:I was with a buddy last evening who was shooting his 6.5 CM at 200 yds and he shot less than a half inch using A-Max bullets and FCD crimped rounds. Timbrayford's group above is another example.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Ah, Ian! Your reasoning may seem intuitively correct but it's not. The evidence to the contrary is everywhere including that offered by shooters on this very site who have reported increased accuracy with smaller standard deviation and extreme spreads. Yes. People can report good accuracy with either crimped or non crimped loads but the standard deviation and ES reduction of crimped loads is well documented in magazines like "Rifle" and "Handloader" in the US.

As to crimping non cannelured bullets? It does absolutely no harm. View it from the bullet's perspective: After it's had 4, or 5, or 6 grooves forcibly swagged along it's length as a result of a 60K PSI kick in the a$$, the slight blemish made by the crimp die is probably the least of it's worries. ~Muir
    So true
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!