Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First rifle help needed

First rifle help needed

Hi to all, im about to buy my first rifle for the purpose of roe / fox, in .223 calibre. Im looking to spend around 500- 600 on a new rifle, and have been offered a browning x bolt composite which looks the dogs. I would welcome any views from the experienced shots out there.....what do you think ?
    The same gunsmith is also offering a howa 1500 at much the same price, black composite ,i like them both but just not sure which to go for...................thanks for any help

Howa for me!, but I'm just biased.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Thanks, i like them as well.....but then again i like them all !!.........aaaaggghhhhh

Thanks...i think its going that way

CT, If you follow this link, http://www.chuckhawks.com/finest_bolt_actions.htm, you will see what other folks think. Oddly, for all it's cheapness the Weatherby/Howa that features.

If you want to rebarrel in the future, thats the action to go for! But, there is a growing fan club for the X-bolt, some on this site.

Yours unhelpfully, ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Someone, somewhere, suggested the Howa actually suffered from stretching, I can assure you that this is not so, I have put a good few heavy loads , some experimental...through my Howa & it is still the same calibre as when I bought it!. Haven't measured the barrel length recently though!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Someone, somewhere, suggested the Howa actually suffered from stretching, I can assure you that this is not so, I have put a good few heavy loads , some experimental...through my Howa & it is still the same calibre as when I bought it!. Haven't measured the barrel length recently though!
    I have been worried that if I ever remove the one piece Leupold base on my Howa and then dismount the action from the stock, the darned thing will spring out to a length that will require restocking. I'm sure the magazine and the scope base are the only things keeping the tang from hitting me in the eye during a long string of shots.~Muir

thanks for the info ft, the chuck hawks site is pretty good..cheers

Hi,
    I've just bought a .223 X-Bolt myself, and must say i quite like it and i know a couple of other people who are looking buying one.
    If you can, shoot both. That may help you decide one way or the other at the end of the day it whatevers right for you.
    Happy Shooting.