Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tikka T3 modifications

Tikka T3 modifications

Hi all.

Just brought two new tikka t3 lites in .223 and 30.06.

What modifications have people made to theirs and what were their views of them?

thanks

luke

I have t3 lites in 223 and 6-5x55 , changed both bottom metals and now use AICS mags, also fitted Boyds stocks , great guns.

Got a .243 and .308 both stainless steel lite versions. I've put both of mine onto a GRS stock with a tikka 5 shot mag and stuck a Swaro on the top and an ASE on the end!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1586.jpg 
Views:	463 
Size:	907.7 KB 
ID:	61948

Other than the moderator and swaro scope - the other stuff is just bling.
    The cheapest and best modification you can make is to change the trigger spring for one from UK Gunworks and which costs a tenner - it makes an already good trigger even better.

Cheers

Bruce

I fitted a YoDave trigger spring which made it easier to shoot accurately also. Boyds stock which the fit and weight has helped my shooting. I also fitted a larger bolt handle and metal bolt shroud through no reason other than the look and feel better (in my opinion) and I nearly got an upgraded aluminium bottom metal but decided against it. I like personalising my toys so although they may not "improve" them it makes them more enjoyable to use.

The bolt shroud is definitely worth changing,especially if either of your rifles is stainless. I like the bolt handle on the 595,but I'd be tempted to change that also on a T3. I hadn't thought of a trigger spring but I'll look into that, the trigger is already nice,but if it can be improved upon.......

One of mine sits in a Roedale RCS II stock and has been rebarrelled.

The other I have full-length bedded into a Boyds stock. Bottom metal changed and bedded, too.

Both have the the metal bolt shroud and "tactical" bolt knob. The latter improves rapid cycling (and feel) which is only really noticeable in competition conditions.

I didn't notice any improvement changing the trigger Spring (trigger is good anyway.) Beware adjusting the trigger to be too light- I witnessed an accidental discharge from a T3 in which gun fired when the bolt was closed.

Before changing the stocks I needed a pad to get good, consistent cheek weld. Also, the "squish" in the factory bottom-metal (plastic) means consistent tightening off the action bolts isn't a given: a torque wrench will help solve this.

They are good guns out of the box so no absolute need to change anything really.

I'd just fit a rubber bolt knob and leave it as is

If they were Varmint or Super Varmint for target shooting I'd look at one of the metal chassis options, I have an MDT TAC21 on my 260Rem T3 and it's quite heavy but very nice to shoot with.
    There's room for all Gods creatures ........... right next to the mash and gravy

Cheers everyone. Some interesting bits. I can't get on with the trigger so may look into those mentioned. I know the current one can be tweaked down to 2lbs from 3lbs. Would that be too light do yo think? Have got a large bolt knob fitted already.

Quote Originally Posted by lukepulford View Post
    Cheers everyone. Some interesting bits. I can't get on with the trigger so may look into those mentioned. I know the current one can be tweaked down to 2lbs from 3lbs. Would that be too light do yo think? Have got a large bolt knob fitted already.
    The UK Gunworks trigger spring will get you down to around 1lb.
    I fitted one to my mates T3 this morning - took less than 10 minutes from start to finish, and he was well pleased with the improvement.

Cheers

Bruce