Bringing rifle stock back from US in luggage

stratts

Anyone had any experience lately of bringing a rifle stock back from the US in their luggage?

My parents are visiting family over there in Nov and they are going to bring me a Boyds stock back if it's ok to do so in their suitcase,

Cheers

Stratts

Anyone had any experience lately of bringing a rifle stock back from the US in their luggage?

My parents are visiting family over there in Nov and they are going to bring me a Boyds stock back if it's ok to do so in their suitcase,

Cheers

Stratts

not lately, but a couple of years ago the only problem I had was that they wouldn't let me carry it on as cabin luggage

The law on the US side is that a firearm must be in locked, checked baggage.
Check with the airline about the locks, because they kept changing the requirements, as to whether they wanted the locks to be keyed for TSA, or not. Inside the luggage, the check-in clerk will place a tag which will show up on X-ray, letting security know that the firearm is not being sneaked.

A stock is not a firearm under U.S. law, only the receiver portion. But it is probably too bulky for the overhead bin now.

Until this year, I had a permit to carry firearms in the cabin, but still had to go through the same requirements on my checked baggage firearms, and have to secure my arrows the same. But the stewardesses let me put my recurve bow in the cabin with their coats. My friends who are pilots carry HK and SIG pistols onto the plane, but cannot carry a pocketknife.

So you need to ask... it is just too confusing.

ITAS rules state a manufacturer cannot export or post without a license; however, I have checked this thoroughly btw, and you CAN buy any stock in the US and bring with you in your checked luggage without any issues whatsoever, it's just wood or plastic, nothing to do with a firearm at that point,,,nor would a recoil pad be!

If you're feeling generous, you should declare it at the border of course,,,unless, sneaky sneaky, your family bought it and gave it to you as a pressie ;-0

ITAS rules state a manufacturer cannot export or post without a license; however, I have checked this thoroughly btw, and you CAN buy any stock in the US and bring with you in your checked luggage without any issues whatsoever, it's just wood or plastic, nothing to do with a firearm at that point,,,nor would a recoil pad be!

If you're feeling generous, you should declare it at the border of course,,,unless, sneaky sneaky, your family bought it and gave it to you as a pressie ;-0
Why should you declare it you are allowed £390s worth of goods you only have to declare it if you have more than this

Its going to depend on the person who finds it . If they consider it it a component which falls under the ITIA regs , there will be issues, stocks technicaly dont need an export licence out of the usa , try getting caught with a tactical and they will say it does same with scopes if it has a hunting ret you will be fine mil dot and turrets you may well have issues.

I thought it would be fine, but did a little research before i said.. "yeah go for it" because i bring stuff back from Canada all the time. but US is different.

i found an article of a bloke who funnily enough tried to mail himself a Macmillan stock home from the states. and it was seized. attached is the letter he got with the various violations, sounds like you will need an export permit for what they class as "defence article"

bare in mind this was a few years ago so might of changed but worth checking. call the US embassy in London and ask. i was on the phone to them today about a work visa for next week.. there friendly enough.

stock.jpg

also found this on a website that sells gun parts in the US -

Export Policy

Export Policy and Export Restrictions Information
The U.S. Department of State's Directorate of Defense Trade Controls, the U.S. Department of Commerce's Bureau of Industry and Security, and the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control administer export control regulations that affect some aspects of our business. We request that all customers read and familiarize them selves with the following regarding certain applicable export regulations.
The sale, transfer, transportation, or shipment outside of the U.S. of any product prohibited or restricted for export without complying with U.S. export control laws and regulations, including proper export licensing, documentation or authorization, is strictly prohibited and may result in civil penalties and/or constitute a federal crime. Eurooptic will not engage in any transaction that requires the illegal export of any products and will not assist directly or indirectly with the illegal export or re-export of any products. An accurate Automated Export System filing must also be made for all exportation requiring a license and some not requiring a license.
If you wish to purchase an item for ultimate shipment or use outside of the United States, please indicate this fact in your order. Depending on the value of the order, the specific item, the end user or intended use, the country of ultimate destination, Eurooptic may be required to apply for an export license with the appropriate U.S. government agency. Several items on the website may require an export license, including, but not limited to, the following:

• Generation 2, 3, or 4 Night Vision Equipment and Night Vision Accessories
  • Thermal Imaging Equipment
  • Optical Sighting Equipment and Accessories
  • Firearms, magazines, and rifle stocks
International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR): ITAR is an acronym for International Traffic in Arms Regulations (22 CFR, Parts 120-130) which covers the export of defense articles. Defense articles are defined by ITAR § 120.3 as any article (item) that is specifically designed, developed, configured, adapted, or modified for a military application. In designating an article as a defense article, DDTC evaluates if the article has any predominant civil applications and if there exists a performance equivalent in the civilian sector. Once DDTC designates an item as a defense article it is placed on a list named the U.S. Munitions List (USML) which is maintained by DDTC.

- so sounds like its fine when people say i have order stocks online from the states no problem.. as the company has had an export permit to do so.
but buying one there and trying to bring it back yourself might land you in a room talking to TSA.
which is daft as its just a bit of fibreglass or wood and has no
ballistic qualities that a 2x4 does.

Last year I took my rifle stock to the U.S. so that my father-in-law could extend it for me. It went there and back in my hold baggage, and like others here, I had no issue, BUT, I did take my FAC, more so that I could molify any UK officials who might have decided to get jumpy about a "gun" in my baggage. Getting someone else to buy one for you (albeit an "unsolicited gift") might be a little more tricky - what would they say if asked about what they were carrying?

I would check with Boyd's themselves whether they export them as ITAR items when they send to the UK. They answer the phone, and were helpful when I called about potentially buying a stock from them (it was backup plan in case we ruined the stock!)

If they don't have to send them as ITAR items, or if it is merely a question of value, then I'm sure you'll be fine. If you aren't sure, then the cash saving might not be worth the risk. Good luck!

It's defo one that Boyds used to export before they recently put the price up to $129 so they now won't send them to the UK!!

Thanks for all the info guys,

Stratts

It's defo one that Boyds used to export before they recently put the price up to $129 so they now won't send them to the UK!!

Thanks for all the info guys,

Stratts

Hi Stratts, I've been looking at buying a Boyds stock too, having it sent to my daughter in California, and then posting it on to me....I think I need to find out the legalities of it all before going ahead, so, watching this thread with great interest.

Cheers.

Hi Stratts, I've been looking at buying a Boyds stock too, having it sent to my daughter in California, and then posting it on to me....I think I need to find out the legalities of it all before going ahead, so, watching this thread with great interest.

Cheers.

I know that's ok to do mate as I have family over there and that was plan A. Then the olds said they were going so just trying to save some dosh really.

I can't say I blame you, it's expensive enough....She already posted a stainless steel Jet Ski rack over for a mate of mine, and saved him over £100...:)

Back