Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about casting bullets.

Thinking about casting bullets.

I have just been rummaging in the oddments boxes again, pulled out a good condition Lee bullet mould, .45 calibre 250 grain two cavity jobbie, Muir might be able to put me straight on this one, it says this mould is a "R.E.A.L." black powder for rifle, can these bullets be shot through a 45 / 70 over modern nitro? Lee stock number #34307 90392.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I think you'll find that is a .454" mold which would be too small for the 45-70. You never can tell though without casting. In the world of casting a few thou makes all the difference between treasure and trash.

I never could get Rifling Engraves At Loading (REAL) bullets to shoot from my muzzle loaders but if you wrapped the bullet a bit of damp tracing paper (onion skin paper for the older set) and let it dry, it may work fine as a paper patched projectile in the 45-70! ~Muir

I am reminded by your reply of a now foolish statement I made a while back, having to do with reaching a point where there was nothing left on the reloading scene, so casting it will be!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Finn: That's how I got started with casting rifle bullets. Let me know if I can help. I can steer you away from the typical beginners pitfalls. JAYB is very good at the game as well.~Muir

Probably will be a little while before I get going, but will be straight back to you for that!, Thanks, Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Finn: That's how I got started with casting rifle bullets. Let me know if I can help. I can steer you away from the typical beginners pitfalls. JAYB is very good at the game as well.~Muir
    Yeah, and who's fault is that, keep away from the dark side, you will find yourself casting hundreds of bullets and then having to shoot them

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Finn, Have you got the Lee reloading book? There's loads about casting bullets in there.

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

The Lyman book is a good source of info on casting.Just spent the last hour knocking out some shallow base 577.

There's a reason why I'm permanently dis-invited from dinner, by hundreds of house wives, world wide.~Muir