Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calibers for different species

Calibers for different species

So I have seen many posts about people's opinions about using different calibers on different species and I wanted to just ask Who has used what calibre and what ammo they have used in the bigger species that was affective, I have used my .243 rifle on all of the deer species except sika I have shot red stags and knobblers with it fallow bucks and hinds, row and muntjac all with 100gr .243. People are and seem to be a little wary of .243 with larger animals, I am in the proscess of getting a .270 but that's on its way not current and im still for now using my .243 ---- thoughts and what ammo in your calibre is best and most affective ?

Most countries in Europe take the view based on deer welfare that the .243 Win is not suitable for the larger deer species. Some estates in Scotland echo this view. I personally try to avoid pursuing red deer and sika deer with any 6mm calibre and use instead 260 Rem or 308 Win.

Regards

JCS

My smallest proper deer calibre is 6.5 x47 (120g bullets) that I use for Roe on open ground. For woodland stalking a 308 (130g or 150g bullets) and for Reds a 7mm Rem Mag(140 to 160g). All work very well indeed. The 7mm seems more decisive than the 308 on larger deer and the 308 with 130g bullets is very effective on Roe. I haven't used the 6.5 on larger deer yet but would not hesitate to do so.

A 100g soft point projectile in the right place travelling at c3000 ft per second is going to drop any deer in the uk. .243 to .270 to .300 of an inch is not going to make the slightest bit of difference. Thats my opinion and will satisfy the law in the uk.

That said, we do have larger calibres available to us and there is no getting away from experience - most estates favour a bigger calibre .270 plus for reds. While i have shot many stags with my .243 i used the consensus as an excuse to buy another toy!..... Enjoy your .270 when it arrives.

PS - to further answer your question, i use 100g soft point .243 for all my other rifle shooting - mostly roe and fox.

Quote Originally Posted by willyroe View Post
    A 100g soft point projectile in the right place travelling at c3000 ft per second is going to drop any deer in the uk. .243 to .270 to .300 of an inch is not going to make the slightest bit of difference. Thats my opinion and will satisfy the law in the uk..
    The science doesn't support this view at all. Regards JCS

A 6mm bullet is not optimal for large deer. Obviously it will kill them, but unless you're relatively close and/or hit it in exactly the right spot it won't kill an animal as quickly/humanely as a larger calibre. A 100gr bullet doesn't have enough mass/transfer enough energy/disrupt enough body tissue to put it down as quickly. Whilst a 243 will do the job and is legal for large deer, there are far better options available.

Personally I take a horses for courses view to rifle shooting. I use a 308 for most things deer wise, which is generally woodland stalking roe/fallow. I have shot reds, fallow bucks and sika with 150gr SSTs/interlocks/Accubonds to good effect. I do have a 243, which I think is about perfect for the smaller species. And I have a 7mm rem mag which is good for larger stuff that is further away. I have used 162gr SSTs on large animals to good effect in this, and have some 168gr Bergers which I'm waiting to try next. I do have a 22-250 also, which is cleared for small deer, but I've never used it for such...

On the 6mm subject, I was in Scotland the other week, and a ghilli I was talking to had many stories of stags that were shot with a 243 not going down/hardly reacting to being shot/taking multiple shots etc. The stags in question were all shot around the 200yrd mark.
    Last edited by turner.jc1; 08-10-2015 at 09:13.

Some interesting responses guys . Just a slightly different approach on possibly a very well worn question lol, I'm really looking forward to getting my .270 - but I'll be using my .243 Until I get it ��

Having played with lots of different calibre's over the years I now use the following:

6mm-6.5*47 Lapua - Used primarily for foxes, very happy to take a Muntjac or Roe with it given the opportunity. Have also used this on the red hinds when the brief has been neck shots only and it has worked very well. 70 grain BK at 3500fps

6.5*47 Lapua - Go to rifle if I am out specifically for deer up to Fallow. Have used it on Reds as well and it's perfectly adequate as long as you don't stretch it's legs too far. Anything over 200yds (not unusual on the open hill) and they take a bit too long to go down/run too far. 120 grain NBT at 2950fps

280AI - Used specifically on the hill when reds are on the menu. Great for longer range shots and also use it for long distance paper punching. Deer 120 TTSX at 3300fps - Paper 162 Amax at 2950fps

.308 - just got one to try for woodland stalking and Boar. 16" barrel, heavy bullets and low velocity. Not sure about this yet but very light, compact and lovely to carry about! 168 Amax at 2500fps

There is no right or wrong, just opinion. This is where I have ended up and it seems to work for me.
    So much to learn and so little time left

[QUOTE

On the 6mm subject, I was in Scotland the other week, and a ghilli I was talking to had many stories of stags that were shot with a 243 not going down/hardly reacting to being shot/taking multiple shots etc. The stags in question were all shot around the 200yrd mark.[/QUOTE]

And yet .243 was the caliber of choice for many professional Highland stalkers myself included, yes I agree I have seen shots taken at stags with .243 that did not have the result that one might have wished , but I could say the same about any caliber you care to mention, having confidence in the rifle your using goes along way to achieving the desired result.

And yet .243 was the caliber of choice for many professional Highland stalkers myself included, yes I agree I have seen shots taken at stags with .243 that did not have the result that one might have wished , but I could say the same about any caliber you care to mention, having confidence in the rifle your using goes along way to achieving the desired result.
    Why is the .243 your caliber of choice out of interest?
    Last edited by turner.jc1; 08-10-2015 at 22:21. Reason: sp