Thread: Sako 85 Classic Delux

Sako 85 Classic Delux

Evening all - I am considering ordering one of these in 30-06 - anyone have one, handled one, know of one in stock (other than SGC) and any experience with them? Ta
    For Gods sake - don't tell her how much I've spent

Ctrl-Alt FACT

I have only handled both of them, the Classic Deluxe in .270 and .30-06, and one Bavarian in 7mm-08.
    All of them fit and handled really well, great balance and open sights.
    The Classics had darker walnut and gloss blue. The Bavarian had a blond walnut with chocolate figure in it, and matte blue. I am very partial to these sorts of traditional hunting rifles, so my subjective opinion is quite biased.

I have got one in 30-06 and it is beauty, trouble is I never the it out of the safe because I don't want to scratch it! Always grab the synthetic stainless 6.5x55 instead.

Must take it out more this season...

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    .......I am very partial to these sorts of traditional hunting rifles, so my subjective opinion is quite biased.
    No problem with bias - I am becoming more partial too and like the Rigby-esque classic style this model offers without the Rigby price tag! I'm liking the sound of the gloss blue and darker walnut too - my Anschutz is of the blonde & matt variety so this would make a nice addition. Are the open sights the driven (fibre optic luminescent) type or classic post and ring? I do quite like the idea of stalking in close and shooting open sights up to say, 80 yards or so....

Ctrl-Alt FACT

Whoops sorry mine is just the deluxe, not the classic

Quote Originally Posted by PointBlank View Post
    I have got one in 30-06 and it is beauty, trouble is I never the it out of the safe because I don't want to scratch it! Always grab the synthetic stainless 6.5x55 instead.

Must take it out more this season...
    I know what you mean, however I'm at that stage now where I want something a bit different and special - but yes, also in two minds as other options were rough tech pro or hanging on for the new Mauser next year....

Ctrl-Alt FACT

Quote Originally Posted by Hereford View Post
    Are the open sights the driven (fibre optic luminescent) type or classic post and ring? I do quite like the idea of stalking in close and shooting open sights up to say, 80 yards or so....
    They are sturdy, windage adjustable shallow V with a rounded bottom set in a short express base (Recknaler, same as on the Steyr Classic ). The front is a Recknaler, also, a sharp square blade which can be quickly adjusted for elevation.

I have these on a Steyr 7x64, on a Sauer .308, and the rear sight was on a .375 H&H Model 70 Express which had a different front sight ( ivory bead in a hood ). I put this rear sight on my vintage 8x60S Mauser. They are very fast to line up, yet offer enough precision to shoot MOA or better.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    They are sturdy, windage adjustable shallow V with a rounded bottom set in a short express base (Recknaler, same as on the Steyr Classic ). The front is a Recknaler, also, a sharp square blade which can be quickly adjusted for elevation.

I have these on a Steyr 7x64, on a Sauer .308, and the rear sight was on a .375 H&H Model 70 Express which had a different front sight ( ivory bead in a hood ). I put this rear sight on my vintage 8x60S Mauser. They are very fast to line up, yet offer enough precision to shoot MOA or better.
    Good enough for Fallow @ 80-100yds then (if I can get close enough) - it's kinda my next personal challenge - first deer over open sights with classic rifle t'boot - feather in the cap territory....

Ctrl-Alt FACT

Piece of cake! I have mine set to hit about 1/2 inch above the top of the square blade at 100 yards. That way, I can practice offhand and small targets ( 3/4 inch to 2 inches ) by having them sit just on top of the blade. It builds concentration, hold, breath and trigger control for me better than just shooting bulleyes. In the field, it is a dead on hold to 150 yards.

Go fondle these Sakos and see how they fit YOU.