Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dropped rifle...

Thumbs down Dropped rifle...

Hi, just finished a quiet evenings stalking and just as I got to my truck my rifles sling swivel snapped and the rifle fell onto the moderated then straight on to the top of the scope. The top up/down cap has kinda crushed onto the reticule adjuster... Which means it won't unscrew. It also hit the eye relief adjustment end of the scope as well. It's a Leopold vx-2 and I was pretty gutted to be honest as its only a year old. I quickly tried it in near darkness and it was shooting probably 10 inches low and a couple of inches left so it's certainly taken a pretty big hit. I'm wondering now if the tube is bent or damaged in any way. Can this sort of thing be fixed or is it a case of forking out for another scope?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by James110 View Post
    Hi, just finished a quiet evenings stalking and just as I got to my truck my rifles sling swivel snapped and the rifle fell onto the moderated then straight on to the top of the scope. The top up/down cap has kinda crushed onto the reticule adjuster... Which means it won't unscrew. It also hit the eye relief adjustment end of the scope as well. It's a Leopold vx-2 and I was pretty gutted to be honest as its only a year old. I quickly tried it in near darkness and it was shooting probably 10 inches low and a couple of inches left so it's certainly taken a pretty big hit. I'm wondering now if the tube is bent or damaged in any way. Can this sort of thing be fixed or is it a case of forking out for another scope?
    I feel for you, I was painting my guns the other day and had a scope suspended by wire to spray... Fell from about 4 feet onto concrete and landed on the objective bell, which is now the shape of a flat tyre.
    Excuse for a nice new one in a month or two!
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

I suspect that will be an insurance job...
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by I. Farticus View Post
    I suspect that will be an insurance job...
    Can you claim off household insurance for something like this?

I would recommend you contact Leupold, tell them what happened and see what they can do for you to fix it. They have good customer service... or did when I had dealings with them.
    On the swivels I got a set from TAB Gear in the US and they are the toughest ones I have found a set of them should prevent an accident in future.

I feel for you

Definitely contact leupold for repair

as for swivels Allan Rhone recknagel are quality I use them myself on the M03

Cheers guys I'll contact leupold tomorrow and see what they think. My only worry is that after it's been shipped to the usa and back ontop of the repair costs it might not be worth it. Will invest in some decent swivels I think!

Personally, I would get a pair of pliers and get that cap off (it'll come off otherwise how would leupold do it, they ain't going to laser it off!). Secondly, I'd try and re-mount the scope and re-zero, check if it holds zero, give it a shake, knock, etc. even dunk it in water and check if still water tight, then shoot and check again. If all good, get a new turret cap from somewhere, probably a dime a dozen to be honest.

Unless Leupold are feeling particularly generous, they'll probably charge for the repair, paint if needed, etc. and then invoice you for it including shipping and what have you..if you have any sort of military style reticle, they might even not be allowed for ITAR regulations to ship it back to you.

If you'll have to pay for the repairs, and they ARE needed due to internal component damage in the scope, then I'd bin it and buy another tbh. by the time you would get it back from the US, you'd probably have bought a replacement anyway as you'll not want to be without scope for months potentially.

just my two pennies worth

There are two types of shooters - the fulfilled and successful ones - with a 7 X 57 and those poor souls who have not yet decided to get one!

Quote Originally Posted by James110 View Post
    Can you claim off household insurance for something like this?
    Probably, but you would more than likely have a standard excess of around £200 anyway. How much would a new scope run to?

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    Personally, I would get a pair of pliers and get that cap off (it'll come off otherwise how would leupold do it, they ain't going to laser it off!). Secondly, I'd try and re-mount the scope and re-zero, check if it holds zero, give it a shake, knock, etc. even dunk it in water and check if still water tight, then shoot and check again. If all good, get a new turret cap from somewhere, probably a dime a dozen to be honest.

Unless Leupold are feeling particularly generous, they'll probably charge for the repair, paint if needed, etc. and then invoice you for it including shipping and what have you..if you have any sort of military style reticle, they might even not be allowed for ITAR regulations to ship it back to you.

If you'll have to pay for the repairs, and they ARE needed due to internal component damage in the scope, then I'd bin it and buy another tbh. by the time you would get it back from the US, you'd probably have bought a replacement anyway as you'll not want to be without scope for months potentially.

just my two pennies worth

This is good advice go for it.