Dropped rifle...

James110

Hi, just finished a quiet evenings stalking and just as I got to my truck my rifles sling swivel snapped and the rifle fell onto the moderated then straight on to the top of the scope. The top up/down cap has kinda crushed onto the reticule adjuster... Which means it won't unscrew. It also hit the eye relief adjustment end of the scope as well. It's a Leopold vx-2 and I was pretty gutted to be honest as its only a year old. I quickly tried it in near darkness and it was shooting probably 10 inches low and a couple of inches left so it's certainly taken a pretty big hit. I'm wondering now if the tube is bent or damaged in any way. Can this sort of thing be fixed or is it a case of forking out for another scope?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 354
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 321
Hi, just finished a quiet evenings stalking and just as I got to my truck my rifles sling swivel snapped and the rifle fell onto the moderated then straight on to the top of the scope. The top up/down cap has kinda crushed onto the reticule adjuster... Which means it won't unscrew. It also hit the eye relief adjustment end of the scope as well. It's a Leopold vx-2 and I was pretty gutted to be honest as its only a year old. I quickly tried it in near darkness and it was shooting probably 10 inches low and a couple of inches left so it's certainly taken a pretty big hit. I'm wondering now if the tube is bent or damaged in any way. Can this sort of thing be fixed or is it a case of forking out for another scope?

I feel for you, I was painting my guns the other day and had a scope suspended by wire to spray... Fell from about 4 feet onto concrete and landed on the objective bell, which is now the shape of a flat tyre.
Excuse for a nice new one in a month or two!

I would recommend you contact Leupold, tell them what happened and see what they can do for you to fix it. They have good customer service... or did when I had dealings with them.
On the swivels I got a set from TAB Gear in the US and they are the toughest ones I have found a set of them should prevent an accident in future.

I feel for you

Definitely contact leupold for repair

as for swivels Allan Rhone recknagel are quality I use them myself on the M03

Cheers guys I'll contact leupold tomorrow and see what they think. My only worry is that after it's been shipped to the usa and back ontop of the repair costs it might not be worth it. Will invest in some decent swivels I think!

Personally, I would get a pair of pliers and get that cap off (it'll come off otherwise how would leupold do it, they ain't going to laser it off!). Secondly, I'd try and re-mount the scope and re-zero, check if it holds zero, give it a shake, knock, etc. even dunk it in water and check if still water tight, then shoot and check again. If all good, get a new turret cap from somewhere, probably a dime a dozen to be honest.

Unless Leupold are feeling particularly generous, they'll probably charge for the repair, paint if needed, etc. and then invoice you for it including shipping and what have you..if you have any sort of military style reticle, they might even not be allowed for ITAR regulations to ship it back to you.

If you'll have to pay for the repairs, and they ARE needed due to internal component damage in the scope, then I'd bin it and buy another tbh. by the time you would get it back from the US, you'd probably have bought a replacement anyway as you'll not want to be without scope for months potentially.

just my two pennies worth

Personally, I would get a pair of pliers and get that cap off (it'll come off otherwise how would leupold do it, they ain't going to laser it off!). Secondly, I'd try and re-mount the scope and re-zero, check if it holds zero, give it a shake, knock, etc. even dunk it in water and check if still water tight, then shoot and check again. If all good, get a new turret cap from somewhere, probably a dime a dozen to be honest.

Unless Leupold are feeling particularly generous, they'll probably charge for the repair, paint if needed, etc. and then invoice you for it including shipping and what have you..if you have any sort of military style reticle, they might even not be allowed for ITAR regulations to ship it back to you.

If you'll have to pay for the repairs, and they ARE needed due to internal component damage in the scope, then I'd bin it and buy another tbh. by the time you would get it back from the US, you'd probably have bought a replacement anyway as you'll not want to be without scope for months potentially.

This is good advice go for it.

+1pkl I have a scope that's actually bent, stuck on 6x, still adjusts and holds zero, it's not a fashion show out there so I use it.

Thanks I may give that a go and see. When I fired it after I dropped it both shots were right next to each other so I guess it may hold zero again. I literally got the zero dead on last weekend as well

Test without the mod just to be sure it's not knocked the thread system out, which could lead to bullets clipping the mod or worse if it's a tight bore mid to calibre.

Send it to Paul Burke, he will give you a definitive answer on possible repairs, sounds like a goner to me, Maybe Paul would be interested in donor parts from it?

Leupold have (or used) to have an agent in Germany who repairs and warranty repairs Leupolds. service@harald-ros.de
edi

Last edited:
Good chance it'll be ok and just cosmetically damaged...I've seen a lot of seriously bashed Leupolds that still work just fine....

I had the same happen to me on a vx111, and the scope/rifle clattered down a flight of stone stairs, it is dented and scratched and did need rezeroing but 3 yrs later has never fogged up or lost zero so as pkl said pull the cap off adjust it and see how it goes.

Back