redfield scope

drummerboy

Hi Guys, just wondering if anyone knows a bit about these scopes, as ive looked through a friends 3x9-40 gloss panted tube tv lens and thought what a nice crystal clear picture and just wondering if you can pick them up in a larger mag for a big centerfire?
Regards Neil

Redfield is currently owned by Leupold, the older models were steel tubed, I think some even saw service with the US military in Vietnam, current models are alloy, never looked though a modern one, but if its backed by a Leupold type warranty it might be worth a punt, prices seem competitive

What is a big centrefire? I have the same on an un modded 270, never been an issue. Not needed to look into bigger mag version of redfield so cant help with that.
atb

I had a Redfield revolution 4-12x40 accurange reticle on a .22-250 and it was awesome. Only got rid as I sold rifle as a package. Really good low light capabilities even though it was a 40mm objective.

The U.S. Army did use the Redfield scopes in Vietnam. I recently picked up an old gloss 3-9x40 steel tube for $20 in a small town gun store and it is so clear. They were very rugged. They still bring $100 to $200 here in the USA. Back in the mid 1990s, they made a 4-12x50mm, the Illuminator, which is very sharp. A friend, a retired gunsmith, former U.S. Armory armorer, and later a policeman outfitting SWAT teams, has one on his Model 70 .30-06, and I have seen him shoot 5 shot groups of a cloverleaf at 200 yards, which is good for a hunting scope.

The current Battlezone model is pretty sharp, and has a nice G2 reticle, for under $200 here.

With any optics, you need to look through them, not just in the store, and try them in the field. Talk to owners about durability. If someone is using a scope for 15, 20, 25 years, it must be pretty good. If they work for you, and you can tell little difference or no difference in your usage between one glass and another costing multiples of it, they listen to your own eyes and wallet.

Last edited:
Forget the redfield a new rifle package I bought came with one had it on the rifle for 1 week total crap changed it for a ziess kept the redfield as a spare scope hope I never need it

I had a Redfield revolution 4-12x40 accurange reticle on a .22-250 and it was awesome. Only got rid as I sold rifle as a package. Really good low light capabilities even though it was a 40mm objective.

I agree RE: low light I have two, one is not currently mounted as I've other scopes more suited to what I use those rifles for IIRC it's the 4-12x40 plex.

The other redfield I've got has the accu ret, that's on a .22lr and doesn't work in perfectly but it's alright. I like the ret but it does not work in to the distances specified by Redfield.

Redfield were put out of business by the US Environmental Protection Agency. After huge groundwater pollution was found from years of the factory literally flushing its waste down the drains. There is on the "net" the USA EPA Case Study of it.

But it was a all in brand making 'scopes, mounts, rings, iron sight too. A good marque with a good reputation so that is why Leupold took over the name but NOT, and be aware of that, NOT the warranty or any spares and repairs.

They were up there with the best of US made 'scopes and frankly I'd rate them as good as if not better than contemporary Leupold and Bushnell and certainly in my mind better finished than contemporary Weaver 'scopes.

The "wide angle" TV type isn't anything more than a normal diameter lens with the top and bottom bits ground off flat. If you like it buy it. It will be good (if not knackered) on anyting like 30-06 or that ilk. Old Redfields are classic 'scopes with a good reputation.

Last edited:
brand new REDFIELD Revolution 3-9x40 ACCU the RETICLE is useless

I think the 'TV' type being referred to is a much older steel tubed model similar to my circa 1980 version, as mentioned, in some fields of manufacturing 'they don't make em like they used to' that does not mean that quality can't still be bought today from the brand leaders, but I do think you could do worse than looking at older models from Khales, Docter, S&B, Zeiss, etc.

The U.S. Army did use the Redfield scopes in Vietnam. I recently picked up an old gloss 3-9x40 steel tube for $20 in a small town gun store and it is so clear. They were very rugged. They still bring $100 to $200 here in the USA. Back in the mid 1990s, they made a 4-12x50mm, the Illuminator, which is very sharp. A friend, a retired gunsmith, former U.S. Armory armorer, and later a policeman outfitting SWAT teams, has one on his Model 70 .30-06, and I have seen him shoot 5 shot groups of a cloverleaf at 200 yards, which is good for a hunting scope.

The current Battlezone model is pretty sharp, and has a nice G2 reticle, for under $200 here.

With any optics, you need to look through them, not just in the store, and try them in the field. Talk to owners about durability. If someone is using a scope for 15, 20, 25 years, it must be pretty good. If they work for you, and you can tell little difference or no difference in your usage between one glass and another costing multiples of it, they listen to your own eyes and wallet.
And now my disenchantment with Redfield:

I once bought one of their M3200 target scopes from the shop I worked at and after 2 weeks on my .222 BR rifle it went to pot. I was a little dismayed as even at my store pricing, it cost me three weeks pay. I called Redfield and they said that they were sorry, but they had dropped recently that scope from production and therefore, would not service it despite their "LIFE TIME WARRANTY", but, they added, they would gladly sell me another scope at dealer cost. I sent them a lengthy "WTF??" and have not done business with them since.

I'm sure that they have come around to new and better policies, but that was my experience with them.~Muir

The word id use to best describe Redfield scopes is '*****!' Recently sat next to a guy with one mounted on his rifle. Approaching dusk and it greyed out long before my old Swaro scope. Ill readily accepting that a new Swaro is much more expensive to buy, but i could see and therefore shoot using mine for nearly 20 extra mins and my scope must be at least 15-17yrs old!

Back