Thread: Isle of Mull with Scotland Deer Stalking

Isle of Mull with Scotland Deer Stalking

The below post will be a succinct write up of what was an incredible experience.

More detail below but in short:

Davie is an absolute pleasure to spend time with. He is professional in his approach and I would not hesitate to go stalking with him again. He really made my trip.

The ground Davie has access to is varied and holds plenty of deer. It is both beautiful and challenging.

Heather, Alan and family who run Criagbhea are great hosts with smart accommodation and provide excellent food.

I feel very lucky to have experienced this opportunity. It was really outstanding.

Back in February I was fortunate enough to be picked to take up an incredibly generous offer from Davie who runs Scotland Deer Stalking.

The excitement never really ebbed, I thought about the trip every week leading up to October.

After a few phone call with Davie we arrange to meet in Callander and drive up to Oban in convoy.

I had packed the car the night before less rifle so woke at 0445 grabbed a cup of coffee and jumped in the car.

I meet Davie in Callander followed him up the road and stopped for breakfast at Mhor 84, just off the A84. This place is bloody great for breakfast and would highly recommend stopping in if your passing through.

Fuelled up we drove through some stunning scenery around Loch Awe. On arrival to Mull a short drive (35mins) to the accommodation (via the range to make sure all was well).

I was greeted by Heather who runs the accom Davie recommended. She couldn’t have been more helpful and after locking the rifle away Davie and I spent the next 7 hours enjoying the surroundings with plenty of whisky and some great home cooking (3 courses) from Heather. The landowner also stopped by for a drink and dinner which was good and after putting the world to rights I got my head down ready for the morning. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20151001_16_45_35_Pro.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	403.3 KB 
ID:	62036

Davie drove us to some lower ground close to the shoreline which made for excellent views. We saw plenty of deer and twice stalked into a group of deer, the first where the stags were too far out with little chance of closing the gap and the second group we just hinds but it provided good opportunity to observe undetected at close range.

Back for a massive Scottish breakfast.

Out again and this time higher up on the hill and with Davies dog Louie

We ascended the hill at a steady and deliberate pace stopping often to glass and appreciate the views.

About two thirds of the way up Louie's nose started to go. I hadn’t yet stopped smiling.

We start to negotiate a small gully when Davie stops and we both drop down. Looking back on the other side of the hollow we can just see tips of some antlers. Adrenaline up.

Davie leads and we come down and back round the rise the deer are occupying. We stop below the rise and tactics are given. We crawl closer and closer, one stag, 6 hinds.

An obvious fire position presents itself; a rock and grassy knoll approximately 70-80yrs from the group. Davie gets into a spotting position and tells me to crawl slowly, get into position and take a shot when it presents itself.

I start crawling and feel a grip on my boot. I look back a Davie as he mouths “slowly”. Duly noted, I get into the side of the knoll with bipod deployed. Way too high, in danger of messing the whole stalk up. Retract bipod and settle with my crosshairs on the stag. Safety off. Stag very obligingly turns broadside and places both front legs on a knoll. Rifle goes off. Good reaction to shot but little kick out with the back legs. Reload, hinds move off and stag follows. Davie is up next to me as I track the stag with the rifle. Hinds move off up the hill. Stag is down. Wait. Davie has a smoke. Then we stalk in to the last position the stag was seen. Louie circled the beast until he knew it had expired.

Handshakes, Last bite, gralloch showing massive lung damage just above the heart, drag off the hill, whisky.

Few jobs round the farm, hot shower, change, whisky, big feed of local seafood. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20151002_17_51_52_Pro.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	334.9 KB 
ID:	62037

Drive around the land glassing every 500m or so. See some fantastic beasts.

Invite to the owners house, whisky & NZ vs ARG.

Sleep.

Up – Three course breakfast. Long drive home.

Still smiling.
    Last edited by Biathlonjimmy; 10-10-2015 at 15:48. Reason: Pics

Nice write up mate it looks like you had a great time out on Mull with Davie, i have seen some photographs of the island but never been myself! But that will all change soon like tomorrow morning I'm meeting up with Davie in Callander and heading for Oban to get the boat over for a few days on the stags happy days. It's been a long wait from February when I booked it

very nice of you James, thanks for the kind words I will post your pics up when I get finished with the stags, real nice wright up thank you, FOXINMAD you are next looking forward to seeing you on Sunday. ATB Davie

Nice write up mate well done. Davie is a true gent. I was on mull with Davie his boy young David and bigscott270. We stayed with Heather and Allan which as you say the food was out standing. The whole experience was excellent.

Well done again a gain lads.

Regards Kev
    History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

Quote Originally Posted by kev.rem700 View Post
    Nice write up mate well done. Davie is a true gent. I was on mull with Davie his boy young David and bigscott270. We stayed with Heather and Allan which as you say the food was out standing. The whole experience was excellent.

Well done again a gain lads.

Regards Kev
    +1 the only thing I can advise you on is stay away from barbed wire fences lol

Quote Originally Posted by bigscott270 View Post
    +1 the only thing I can advise you on is stay away from barbed wire fences lol
    Well Scott it was entertaining.
    History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

Nice write up and sounds like a cracking journey, good company and a result at the end.

Well done; that's an experience you will never forget. I stalked with Davie a couple of years ago, and can't recommend him highly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonraker68 View Post
    Well done; that's an experience you will never forget. I stalked with Davie a couple of years ago, and can't recommend him highly enough.
    I drank with Davey a few years ago and can't recommend him enough too