Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Deer Skull

Red Deer Skull

Not had it measured, but this is probably borderline Gold/Silver. Taking up too much room in my shed and needs to go! This a a Breckland Red and is clearly quite large! The steel rule shown for scale is a 10 inch rule. It has been cleaned and whitened to a very high standard. It is unusual in that it has the lower jaw as well. Looking for £275 collected.
    Thanks for looking.
    MS
    Attachment 62060Attachment 62061

That's a stunning wild head. You must have some belters if you're happy to let that go to a new home.

Novice

You need a palace not a house for a Breckland stag they are enormous I've a ten point breckland and its toooo big for our modest dwelling it hangs in our shoot room on the farm .very popular on eBay ms especially with theme pubs restaurants Ect ?
    Regards
    norma

I don't save any trophies mate as I can't abide trophy hunting. I only boil them out as I don't like wasting them as they are quite special. I keep them whole as I've previously given them to the local wildlife trust to use for kids education. They've already had a similar 12-pointer though so this one is surplus.
    I've tried selling stuff like this on Ebay before and just ended up with idiots messing me about or expecting me to be able to post it to USA etc..
    It does need somewhere rather large to put it though!
    MS

Preserving an exceptional head, especially if a product of good management, wouldn't be an example of trophy hunting in my view. Each to their own though.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    Preserving an exceptional head, especially if a product of good management, wouldn't be an example of trophy hunting in my view. Each to their own though.

Novice
    That's exactly what this is mate. However, I have no emotional ties to it and it takes up most of the room in my 'man-cave' and needs to go. It's a fine head and deserves a better home that it currently has where it is little more than an obstruction.
    Here's one of it in the fur. It was within a managed cull plan and selected as it has entangled antlers (the remains of a smashed game feeder!)Attachment 62085
    MS
    Last edited by Monkey Spanker; 11-10-2015 at 20:51.

Jeez. They say 5 rabbits eat as much as 1 sheep. Wonder what the stag/pheasant ratio works out at?!? Wouldn't fancy a few like him on a game shoot.

Novice

I know you manage well monkey spanker, so not a criticism, but I have left a few animals with tangled up electric fencing etc as it was causing no harm, and when the antlers were shed it would have disappeared. I just wondered if that was the only reason for culling?

Quote Originally Posted by stalker.308 View Post
    I know you manage well monkey spanker, so not a criticism, but I have left a few animals with tangled up electric fencing etc as it was causing no harm, and when the antlers were shed it would have disappeared. I just wondered if that was the only reason for culling?
    It was part of a cull plan which covered age classes. There are MUCH bigger animals there with almost as many points on each antler so he's not particularly special. We had two that got tied together by the antlers with some cord the previous year. Sadly they eventually tired and fell into a pond and both drowned. My guidance since then has been to target any animals with the potential for entanglement as long as they are within the cull plan. I had to dispatch a nice fallow just recently that had picked up some cammo netting from a pigeon hide and then became tangled on a barbed wire fence. Whilst it might do them no harm until they cast, there is also a much greater risk of entanglement up until that point.
    Thanks for the bump though!
    MS
    Last edited by Monkey Spanker; 12-10-2015 at 15:44.

MS

PM sent

Cheers
    I.F
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means youíve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)