Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Berger VLD Hunting expansion

Berger VLD Hunting expansion

Hi has anyone used Berger VLD hunting bullets on roe? My 25-06 loves the 115 grainers in both the target (now discontinued) and hunting varieties but I'm wondering if they will expand correctly on roe.

cheers Rick

Quote Originally Posted by night stalker View Post
    Hi has anyone used Berger VLD hunting bullets on roe? My 25-06 loves the 115 grainers in both the target (now discontinued) and hunting varieties but I'm wondering if they will expand correctly on roe.

cheers Rick
    I have used a 270 VLD 130gr reload on a fallow prickett a couple of years ago....the meat damage was very extensive indeed.
    I also remember that the accuracy node for my gun was the starting load so the bullet wasnt belting along at some silly fps...I think you would likely get significant expansion on a roe.
    Regards
    Bilbo

Quote Originally Posted by night stalker View Post

cheers Rick
    I've not tried them on roe but they (match and hunting) are the same bullet aren't they...just recatalogued? I read somewhere that they had been used for hunting in America and had found to expand appropriately.
    Last edited by Leadwasp; 13-10-2015 at 18:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadwasp View Post
    I've not tried them on roe but they (match and hunting) are the same bullet aren't they...just recatalogued? I read somewhere that they had been used for hunting in America and had found to expand appropriately.
    No I understand the hunting bullets to have a thinner jacket. I think they used to be the same but the thin jackets caused problems in some target rifles

I think they are a bit like the Amax, but not as reliable.

Drive them too quick and they explode. I shot a hind many years ago with a 25-06 loaded with the hunting round, 95 grain if I remember rightly. Shoulder shot, strike confirmed by spotter with bins to be good. She fell over, got up and ran over the horizon. Never found her. Can only presume it blew up rather than penetrate.

Drive them too slow and they have a reputation for pass throughs without much expansion, unlike the Amax which expands reliably below 2500 fps.

I don't think I would use them in a light calibre again, but might consider the larger weights in 7mm or bigger.
    So much to learn and so little time left

Quote Originally Posted by srvet View Post
    No I understand the hunting bullets to have a thinner jacket. I think they used to be the same but the thin jackets caused problems in some target rifles
    that's somewhat encouraging.....it dispels my earlier held view that it was some bureaucratic plot just to make our lives harder....I'll miss the rant though it was an old friend.........

Quote Originally Posted by Leadwasp View Post
    that's somewhat encouraging.....it dispels my earlier held view that it was some bureaucratic plot just to make our lives harder....I'll miss the rant though it was an old friend.........
    From the Berger website

Our Target and Tactical bullets are designed with thicker jackets that withstand more stress before bullet degradation occurs. A target or tactical shooter generally fires multiple rounds in a row, causing the barrel to heat up and more stress on bullet. To keep performance high, we give these bullets thicker jackets.
    Our Varmint and Hunting bullets have slightly thinner jackets. This means that the bullet will expand more effectively, creating a large wound cavity that devastates the animal using hydrostatic shock. Hunters generally shoot 1-3 bullets at a time, so bullet degradation is not as much of a concern as expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    I have used a 270 VLD 130gr reload on a fallow prickett a couple of years ago....the meat damage was very extensive indeed.
    I also remember that the accuracy node for my gun was the starting load so the bullet wasnt belting along at some silly fps...I think you would likely get significant expansion on a roe.
    Regards
    Bilbo
    In my 6.5 x 55 exactly the opposite, with the 130grn HVLD`s on roe and muntjac there was no or very little expansion resulting in a lot of time spent looking for the few deer that I shot with these rounds

They proved ok ( ish ) on Reds and Sika obviously being a bigger animal they offered more resistance hence descent bullet expansion ( majority of the time not always ) but if I were you I`d pass on the HVLD`s for roe, but, having said that I have absolutely no experience with your calibre you might be able to make them work in the 25-06, but if you get to push them fast enough to expand I suspect you will have trouble with damage on such a light animal

They are extremely accurate

Bob

I used the 6mm Berger VLD 87grs hunting. Very accurate and the high BC makes them less susceptible for wind.
    Shot more than 20 deer and never had any trouble at all.
    Had to change for Sierra HPBT 85 grs because the Bergers ran out and I cant get them anymore.
    Seems everybody buys Berger bullets.

I would personally want actual reports of expansion to justify using something over a bullet designed for something else

i have used AMax and they work very well on all sizes of game from fox to big stags at impact velocities from 2400fps to over 3000fps

i have also seen reports of poor expansion from full metal jacket style target bullets