African Trip 2009

mack

Hi
For those of you not aware this started on a thread on the wild boar section believe it or not!
sp4rkman has contacts in South Africa that may make a hunting trip to this beautiful country a reality in 2009 and he has kindly offered to act on our behalf (correct me if I'm wrong sp4rkman). Could all those interested please post so we can get an idea of numbers. We can argue about details as and when.
Happy Easter
Mack

wish

I would love to afford this but sadly no way, please put me on the "green with envy" list

Re: wish

swampy said:
I would love to afford this but sadly no way, please put me on the "green with envy" list
I might be asking to join that list too! :cry: Let's get an idea of cost first though.

thanks mack
but i am afriad i would not be able to think about a trip in 2009 as i am hoping be part of a trip on boar stalking early 2009 as this is already in the pipe line so money would be a problem
thanks for thinking about me
kind regards
stone

Definitely interested - always wanted to - but depending on cost sadly (just bought a new molehill).

I'm going to put together a detailed breakdown of cost but i'd like to add that this trip was cost at absolute maximum £2k - probably closer to £1 - £1.5k. this will include everything, including flights, accomodation, food, booze, game and all else in between. If you're thinking of joining us then i'd budget on this.

Is this what people had in mind or where they expected more or less?

I'm just trying to gauge what people are expecting to pay

HI MACK

if i do say im intrested will my 17hmr with the 20gr heads be enough gun or will i need to dust off the .243 cannon with the 75gr V-max heads .

only joking sounds like a fantastic trip wish i could join you all ....neil

Got the pm Mack ..very interested just in the middle of attempting to scam atrip to NZ next month or so to check it out soo... depends when we were thinking but at the prices been quoted be up for it

I have been asked to contribute with my thoughts so here goes, apologies if I am standing on someones toes :oops:

You will need a PH in SA to help you import your FA, you will need vehicles at the other end, for pick up to and from the airport. Culling on a SA farm can be like shooting rats in a barrel, as just about all hunting areas in SA are now fenced. Food is cheap as is labour. You may have problems retrieving your trophies or animals you have taken, in the respect of shipping out of SA, without a PH. These costs are always extra to anything you do. capeing out and skinning is always included in these costs, I assume all of this will need to be done by those that attend.

The cost of 2K is very very cheap, especially as it includes the airticket. Last time I flew direct with SA airways it was close on £700 return. I would not advise going on a cheap flight via another country (ie Air Zimbabwe)

Most bottom end safaris for 7 days with 5 good trophy animals all inclusive of pick up and return, booze, meals, vehicles, trackers/skinners, licences, PH, fuel, and trophy fees start at about £3000. Airticket not included.

I would look at Namibia as well, before commiting. There are some very good deals, and some areas are still unfenced. Plus there are easier regulations for taking in a FA, where as SA are currantly having issues. Fenced areas in SA can be only a few hundred acres, and within 1 hour you have driven around the whole farm. Much depends what you are looking for. I am sure Sp4rkman knows his stuff, but I would ask yourself what you expect out of this trip before seriously commiting.

This is advice, I am not knocking Sp4rkman, or anyone else, however it turns out I wish you all a great time. You will want to go back once Africa has bitten you. ;)

Sikamalc,

Comments are always wanted and appreciated.

From what i've gathered those who are interested in going out on this trip are not interested in the trophy collecting that most foreign hunters are interested in. they're looking more for the experience and are happy to take away the memories and not the trophies as this is very expensive.

The hunting won't be cull hunting in the typical sense of shooting from the back of a vehicle. The species sought will be non-trophy, i.e. what South African call meat animals but will be hunted in the walk and stalk method.

i've offered the use of my rifles in South Africa to save costs of not having to use a PH or outfitter. I'm also looking to go to a friends farm, who has infrastructure such as a vehicle, tracker, skinner, accomodation and around 13 000 acres to hunt on.

As for costs, i'm flying out to SA next month and paid £500 for a direct flight to Johannesburg on Virgin Atlantic. Day fees work out to around £20 a day, species cost from £30 upwards and food and booze are really quite reasonable. This is why i gave an estimated cost of around £2k.

At the moment we're trying to see who's interested and will then look at the options available.

sp4rkman

Some excellent contributions from sikamalc and sp4rkman.
So far those interested are; buckup, mole, farmboyuk, leagleagle69, mjjl, mack, stone and of course sp4rkman.

What is the best time of year to go?
Mack

Normally our summer time, which is there winter time, less cover and less water, game tend s to be more concentrated.

This time of year will be cheaper by air, but prices will rise in the summer ;)

Its ok borrowing rifles, but taking your own is more fun, and you will need someone to get the weapons into SA.

One thing is for certain, you will all have a ball I am sure. And even cull hunting on a walk and stalk basis will get you into the bush and will be a life changing experaince for everyone.

Who knows I might even try to go myself (if there is room) much depends on my work load ;)

Hi
I have to say the offer that sp4rkman is making is very kind and helpful good on him for helping the lads out.
I planned a trip two years ago and despite knowing a number of people who have been before I still had trouble finding a hunting trip for less than 3K and I was more for the ethical hunting principles (Walking/Stalking), and did not want to be driven to within easy reach of the quarry or shooting from a vehicle.
I spent three days after a bushbuck seeing him on a number of occasions, twice we nearly had him but there one minute gone the next frustrating but just the ticket for me, so the next time I go It will have to be a bushbuck even if it takes all week and probably will !!.
For this you have to pay more and you tend to go for trophy beasts but with sp4rkman lads your going to get in on the ground at the best rate possible and looks very good to me.
It is truly a fantastic experience and if I could say now that work would not get in the way I would be with you all like a shot.
So I plan to watch the postings and if and when the crunch time comes and I can make time, and the plant we are building is commissioned, then I may stand a chance of being with you
Two further points the http://www.tbz.co.za/ that mack put on looks ok what are your thoughts sp4rkman ?
I would also like to take my rifle and yopu need a PH do you think you could do anything about this !.
I have to go with Sikamalc a little bit on the comments he is making but that’s from my experience and sp4rkman will know a hell of a lot more than me with contacts to.

Take Care

Smithy
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I have to say that the link Mack put on www.tbz.co.za is typical ranch style trophy hunting. Trophy fees are about right, but 2000 hectares is very small, by the first hour of hunting you will have seen the fence several times.

I have hunted in this area, it is not too far from Louis Trichard, (I think) it was 1992 :eek: The area I hunted was not fenced, I see on this site they offer Leopard, at $3000 this is cheap, however I doubt if you will get a CITIES Permit to export it at that price.

Generally as a rule some of the bigger hunting areas in SA are in the Karroo, Botswana Border, khalahari area and Transval. Whatever you want to do, international hunting in Africa is not nor ever was cheap as a rule, however there are still the odd exceptions. But as they say in life you only get what you pay for.

Hi, Sikamalc
Your right on the 2000 hectare range its small,
I was assuming and would need to talk to them, but if they can offer this amount of game to hunt and over three areas that they get concessions elsewhere with area one being the home ranch but I have only glanced at the web site.
I have looked at the Vaalwater / Waterburg regions before and indications are the nearer to the Botswana border you get the less fenced area hunting there is.
But like I say you need to talk to them and be clear.
I have a deposit down with www.nkonkabushlodge.co.za this before the new job took hold, you will know what I mean Sikamalc the same reason I could not make with you last backend,
First glance it does not look much but a guy from SA that I was working with at the time recommended it, this is the place he goes for meat and trophy hunts.
No fences and true hard stalking no big trophy’s just representative, and the references’ have been excellent. But there is always a risk..

Smithy

Back