6.5x55 case query

Jimmy.jim86

I've bought 200 once fired lapua cases in a deal some are primed, some de-caped and some just fired. Had a look at them and measured a few and there coming out at around 2.145 when I put them down my case trimmer obv. thr cutter doesn't touch them. Any ideas on why there so short? Also they look like they've been annealed is that standard for lapua.

Thanks James

Have you done a full length resize? New lapua brass always shows the annealing as a colour change on the brass in my experience.

I've bought 200 once fired lapua cases in a deal some are primed, some de-caped and some just fired. Had a look at them and measured a few and there coming out at around 2.145 when I put them down my case trimmer obv. thr cutter doesn't touch them. Any ideas on why there so short? Also they look like they've been annealed is that standard for lapua.

Thanks James

Hi James.
Did you full-length resize the cases before you attempted to trim them? If so, and they remain that length, don't sweat it. Trim them to the length of the shortest case and get busy shooting.
As to why they are that length? Who knows? You'd be in a better position to know than we would.~Muir

No i haven't yet was just playing around and where surprised they where so short. Can't see why there so short as they've been shot.

Sounds about right for lapua brass, I bought 100 new cases when I had a 6.5 and sold them with the rifle I can't actually remember how many times I reloaded them. But I do know 94 cases went with the rifle and 6 got slung I. The scrap heap with split necks.

My once fired Norma .270 brass that I get is mostly shorter than the default case trimmer length, so only gets material removed by the trimmer on its 2nd or 3rd firing depending on how hot the load has been.

Factories don't like to take chances so to make cases that are slightly under length is a good rule to stick by.
It is unlikely to happen but has; The result of jamming an over length round into a chamber with a short neck can cause the pressures soar, the result can be 'interesting' and memorable. Been there done that. The neck pinches the bullet and initial pressures are far higher than the expected gradual pressure rise with a free moving bullet. The same happens when a bullet is seated too far into the lands.

Back