Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quality Knife?

Quality Knife?

What would be your choice of knife for general hunting carry? 200 budget ish.... Looking for a gift for a very special friend.

Difficult one as we all have different favourites based on length, blade shape, handle shape etc. My suggestion would be to get a knife made that matches closely to one that is his/her favourite. There are few people on this site who make custom knives who should be able to help.

Calum

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    What sort of deer does your (lucky) friend normally pursue? The regular quarry would influence my choice of knife.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Ok, this is actually for an American friend who has been over here for a long time. During the years we have been out and taken mainly muntjac, few roe and a red as they are predominantly around on my land. I'm sure he will be able to get the off the shelf stuff such as the F1 etc that I carry, was thinking more of something from a quality English hand made angle as he will be moving away at the end of the year. We have enjoyed some quality hunting over the years, enjoying taking rabbits, stalking ruff and driven shooting.

Maybe a bit more than your initial budget but I don't think you would go wrong with a Stuart Mitchell Muntjac or Muntjac-X

Alan Wood or one from his homeland a James Sponagle
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Just got this one from my better half a few days ago... stunnig craftmanship, high quality blade and razor sharp... Also is coming in a very nice presentation box

Any of the top UK makers who will 'interpret' the classic Loveless drop point with guard.

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootgun View Post
    Just got this one from my better half a few days ago... stunnig craftmanship, high quality blade and razor sharp... Also is coming in a very nice presentation box

Great recommendation. I use one and it holds a great edge.
    So much to learn and so little time left

Hi

Try Emberleaf (Emberleaf Workshops - Handmade Knives,Knife making supplies,Hairdressing scissors,Sharpening Services,Tool Repair,Wood Work,Carving and More.) - I had one made by them a couple of years ago and found they couldnt have been more helpful, and for a fair price too.

They will progress from a sketch as needs be and advise on materials etc.

L