Thread: A little light reading for everyone

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)

A little light reading for everyone

Found this on the net.
    Thought it worthy of a mention.
    http://journals.plos.org/plosone/art...l.pone.0109698
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

I especially like the conclusions:

• Choose a comfortable shooting position.
    • Avoid shooting off elbows or freehand, use a support (e.g. sticks, bipod).
    • Aim at the chest or lower neck.
    • Use bullets heavier than 75 grains.
    • Avoid shooting when there is insufficient time.
    • Shoot a distant animal only if there is sufficient time.
    • Shoot an animal when it is stationary.
    • Avoid shooting an animal that is heavily obscured or in thicket.
    • Take extra care when the ground is not well known.

No? Really?

Would you prefer if they had concluded that you should gain DSC2, shoot a buck facing away from you to the chest using sticks?

While I only browsed through, IMHO the conclusions and especially not making some erroneous conclusions seemed quite OK.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    The paper is merely a look at why animals are injured. Sometimes they are recovered and sometimes they are not.
    Interestingly it says that calibre choice (a very common question on here) does not really play a part, although I think they missed the point that bigger calibres naturally use bigger bullets and therefore you cannot get bullets below 75gr in some of them.
    Again; the paper is about deer wounding and how best to avoid it, a subject that I think we should all be aware of.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Smaller bullets are used on smaller deer which present a smaller target. It would have been interesting to see wounding rates against size - are bigger deer easier to kill because they have bigger vitals I wander?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaothead View Post
    Smaller bullets are used on smaller deer which present a smaller target. It would have been interesting to see wounding rates against size - are bigger deer easier to kill because they have bigger vitals I wander?

And easier to hit (ahem!!)
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    I especially like the conclusions:

• Choose a comfortable shooting position.
    • Avoid shooting off elbows or freehand, use a support (e.g. sticks, bipod).
    • Aim at the chest or lower neck.
    • Use bullets heavier than 75 grains.
    • Avoid shooting when there is insufficient time.
    • Shoot a distant animal only if there is sufficient time.
    • Shoot an animal when it is stationary.
    • Avoid shooting an animal that is heavily obscured or in thicket.
    • Take extra care when the ground is not well known.

No? Really?
    This is a fascinating study. It provides empirical evidence for the findings. The recommendations are sound, and as the study was conducted quite a while now, the findings will be regarded as received wisdom by now. But training and guidance is now based on evidence, so it is hard to raise any complaints, but some will.

Meanwhile the position of BASC and other shooting related bodies make the same argument against a blanket ban on lead shot. No changes without evidence.

So who could possibly complain about evidence based conclusions to improve humane culling of deer?

Any cynic deriding the conclusions as if they were already widely accepted might not have been believed. Now we can all believe what some assert they knew all along.
    Last edited by Greymaster; 14-10-2015 at 16:02.