DPD couriers, be warned

deerstalker.308

I meant to post this sooner, but forgot, but please be aware, if you call these useless fools, you get charged an extortionate amount for calling their 0845 number, and they aren't averse to sticking you on hold for long periods either.
I learned this recently, when having changed the day of a delivery the item didn't come, so I called up to find out what was happening and it turned out they had cocked up, I then spent the best part of the next hour and a half being passed from one moron to the next and repeatedly being put on hold, at no point was it suggested that they could call me back.
To my delight when my phone bill arrived, I had been charged over £40 for these calls!!

To be fair to DPD, when confronted with a scanned copy of my phone bill and a fairly strongly worded email they refunded me the full amount, and actually rounded it up to £45, so, a heads up, if you find yourself in this situation, push for a full refund, and communicate in email with them, its free!!! (ironically, when complaining about the cost of the calls over email I was advised I needed to CALL their complaints line, which surprise surprise is another 0845 premium number....I declined and kept everything in writing over email).

To be fair to DPD, 0845 isn't premium rate. It's free from my BT landline. (but 25p per min from my mobile)

Yep - 0845 is local rate, not premium. Probably more expensive from a mobile though. DPD are pretty much the best courier out there, despite the poor experience the OP has had.

We're getting into 'calling plans' now which depend on who you're with.

If you're on an Unlimited BT Call Plan then 0845 and 0345 are free..... 0870 remains a premium call rate. It's still used with '09' numbers on a lot of those mindlessly simple quizzes on daytime TV Ad breaks, plus any network charges.... but OFCOM have yet to nobble this scam.

If you're using another BT Plan then 0845 is charged at Local Rate (which now is a helluva lot closer to the National Rate) so a couple of hours hanging on the line at local rate will run up a significant cost. Not DPD's fault really, so they've been decent in refunding this.

AFAIK, neither 0345 (which is usually charged as 01 or 02 STD National Rate) or 0845 (definitely STD Local Rate) is free from a mobile, or an STD line on standard tariff. I think 0800 and 0808 'freefone' is now supposed to be free dialled from a mobile, but that's yet to happen. Some 'phones prefix these numbers with '03' so they count as part of your free minutes, should you have any left.......... but they are still chargeable if you don't.

It was actually 0844 if that makes any difference, but anyway, it wasn't really meant as a slagging off more an awareness of the fact that if you call the number from a mobile and get put on hold as I did, for a totally unacceptable amount of time then be prepared for the cost and be aware that they will refund you if you do......

I still think its ridiculous, but hey. Not questioning their general place in the market or ability as a courier, just a heads up that their number costs big time if you aren't careful...

Sorry, but I think you're right that a reputable company should provide a cheap contact no. for customer queries. I only use a PAYG mobile for emergencies, that is if I can remember where I put it. :cry:

0844 :?: Found this with a bit of searching ...........

0844 Numbers

Service numbers

All UK telephone numbers beginning with the digits 084 are service numbers charged at a special rate. Charges for calling these numbers include a service charge which is used to pay for the service being provided. Common uses for 0844 numbers and other service numbers include:

Chargeable information and support lines
Event ticket and travel booking services
Conference call services
Pre-sales information lines

Tip: most reputable companies have stopped using 0844 numbers for customer services. If you plan to call a company on an 0844 number, check the details on the company's own website first. The 0844 number you have may be out-of-date or belong to a third-party call connection service and cost more to call than the real, current phone number.
0844 number call costs

The cost of calling 0844 numbers from landlines normally ranges from 7p to 17p per minute, while calls from mobiles are normally between 8p and 52p per minute.

0844 number call charges are made up of two parts: a Service Charge of up to 7p per minute which benefits the organisation you are calling and an Access Charge set by your phone company.

The Service Charge should be shown wherever an 0844 number is advertised. To find the specific total call cost, add this to your phone company's standard access charge.

0844 number access charge

While the Service Charge varies depending on which number you ring, Access Charges are set by your phone company and are the same for all 084, 087, 09 and 118 numbers.

Companies are prohibited from using service numbers such as 0844 numbers for post-sales customer service lines.

well that last line is a joke then, as their customer complaints number (which I was laughably advised to call is also an 0844 number....!! all their contact numbers are.) Glad I'm not totally alone in thinking its a bit crap of them!

Used to supply DPD with goods and services that entailed going in both their sites round here, believe me security is stupidly tight. They may have cost you a dollar or two but as carriers they have to be quite near the top for not losing stuff.
We had pics taken and kept on file and some background checks done, this was as contractors so heaven only knows what staff are subject to. Only downside to dealing with them was they work absolutely to the book, and that can be a pain sometimes :D

I was at at home waiting for a package to be delivered from Taclight by DPD and tracking the driver on-line.... all of a sudden it changed to failed delivery, card left. To say I was spitting feathers was an understatement... there'd been no ring on the doorbell and no card....... the plonker had tried to delver it to a similarly spelled road about a mile and a half from me.... complete with different post code. The useful thing is the drivers take a photo of the delivery address..... which was obviously in the other road.

Could I find a contact number? Nope. I had to fill in a "contact us" form on the website. :mad: .... Also spoke to Taclight who were very helpful and got in touch from their end....... this was all on a Friday afternoon and DPD came back to me on the Saturday which was too late for that day so he set it up for Sunday delivery.
It must have confused the recipients of the failed delivery card at the other address though..... I could just see them re-arranging delivery of my package before it got to me though. :doh:

Frustrating at the time.

Fizz
:cool:

all local charge from a BT line

0870 premium charge from BT lines

Call BT and ask them to add the 0870, 0844 and 0845 on your evening and weekend plan (the basic one) that way these numbers become free after 7pm each evening and all weekend.

I meant to post this sooner, but forgot, but please be aware, if you call these useless fools, you get charged an extortionate amount for calling their 0845 number, and they aren't averse to sticking you on hold for long periods either.
I learned this recently, when having changed the day of a delivery the item didn't come, so I called up to find out what was happening and it turned out they had cocked up, I then spent the best part of the next hour and a half being passed from one moron to the next and repeatedly being put on hold, at no point was it suggested that they could call me back.
To my delight when my phone bill arrived, I had been charged over £40 for these calls!!

To be fair to DPD, when confronted with a scanned copy of my phone bill and a fairly strongly worded email they refunded me the full amount, and actually rounded it up to £45, so, a heads up, if you find yourself in this situation, push for a full refund, and communicate in email with them, its free!!! (ironically, when complaining about the cost of the calls over email I was advised I needed to CALL their complaints line, which surprise surprise is another 0845 premium number....I declined and kept everything in writing over email).

Deerstalker.308 Here's an idea.

'I've made £2,000 from cold callers' - BBC News

all local charge from a BT line

0870 premium charge from BT lines

Call BT and ask them to add the 0870, 0844 and 0845 on your evening and weekend plan (the basic one) that way these numbers become free after 7pm each evening and all weekend.

Even assuming that this were possible there'll be no-one there to take your call.

The automatic answering machine will (ever so politely) ask you to call back during working hours. ;)

Back