Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possibly a .308 stainless synthetic and mod with magazine

Possibly a .308 stainless synthetic and mod with magazine

Hi chaps,
    I've been thinking of getting a lighter stalking rifle setup as I've been having shoulder trouble lately so just wondering what is out there and for how much. Also while i'm changing I'm thinking low maintenance would be an idea and longevity to save me needing to change again in the future.

I'm not sure which rifles to avoid so any pointers there would be helpful too.

Basic requirements

Fairly lightweight
    Stainless
    Synthetic stock
    Screwcut at least or with a mod that is lightweight and strippable for cleaning
    With a magazine
    Decent condition with respectable shot count as it'll just be for stalking and I won't put loads through it
    Mounts would be handy to suit the rifle

Budget flexible to a degree as hopefully if I can sell both the .243 and .308 with a T8 reflex mod and possibly a spare Meopta scope I should have a few quid to play with,

Cheers

Stratts

PS
    If it comes to it I could also change calibre to get the right setup, maybe .270 or 6.5 x 55?
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Tikka T3 stainless light?

not had the light (synthetic stock) but had the hunter version and it was great value!

Spooky someone just txt me Tikka T3!!

Are they any good?

Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    Spooky someone just txt me Tikka T3!!

Are they any good?
    Reliable, generally very accurate. Very nice trigger.

Not got one but seen one held it and heard nowt but good reports and can get left handed ( bonus if was me) and adjustable stock version available

Tikka T3

Paul

Finnlight, my 25-06 75 Finnlight with Atec mod is my first choice these days. Light as a feather and deadly accurate. NOT a range tool though as it gets very hot, very fast!
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by long_range_rob View Post
    Finnlight, my 25-06 75 Finnlight with Atec mod is my first choice these days. Light as a feather and deadly accurate. NOT a range tool though as it gets very hot, very fast!
    Heat won't be a problem I aint shot at anything living for fecking weeks!!!

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    I have a shooting buddy who has the tikka light in 308, had to get it bedded to shoot well ?

take from that what you will,

he is a great shot and I trust his word, once done/bedded it shot well and still does as far as I know,

I would go older sako 75 if I was having another 308, but that's me.

hope all is well with the good lady and the boys Stratts.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Tikka T3 stainless synthetic in a PSE stock (they are made to fit perfectly). Calibre you will have to decide yourself, but you wouldn't go far wrong with either a 6.5x55, .260 or 7mm-08, perhaps the smaller two would suit better if you are having shoulder problems, although the .308 can be used with a very short barrel should you want to keep with that calibre. An A-Tec CMM4 at 230gm is about the lightest you will get.

But a second hand Tikka SS, have it re-barrelled in the calibre you want (trued at the same time) and put into one of Edi's brilliant lightweight stocks. It should see you out as long as you don't load it up with super hot loads.

Mike Norris made something similar for the 2015 Shooting Show, but with a Manners carbon fibre stock, based on a Tikka action, it weighed 5lb 8oz without scope and moderator.

You can spend a fortune and be very happy with the results, but 6 to 4 on the deer will never notice the difference between your custom rifle and the standard Tikka T3 SS. It is about what you will be happy using. Good luck in your search, please let us know what you choose?

Regards, Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Got a Sako 75 Finnlight, stainless, synthetic in .243 with Zeiss Conquest 3-9 x 50 and a Lawrence Precision Titanium moderator for sale if that's of any interest.