Wolf hunters deployed to French Alps

Pack of wolves vs right to roam numptys ,mm my moneys on the wolves:cuckoo:.What a great idea lets do our best to give the wolves a great start ,let them out in the Houses of Parliament its full of Pigs and sheep:rofl:

Pal of mine thought re-wilding was a great idea. Lynx and wolves loose on Hampstead Heath and Wimbledon common! Make sure some of these people understood the implications.

David.

Helped my son move into a flat in London a couple of months ago. You don't have to be in a town of 8 million voters very long before you realise the difficulties we face. They think meat comes from Tesco and animals a nice furry things that brighten up their day a little. If its down to votes and the vote is not weighted in favour of those who are impacted, then life is not going to get any easier.

If an animal is native is a good choice to hunt it to extinction?

Just putting it out there, should every lion be killed because it killed a cow? Apex predators are killed because they hunt livestock but that is different to complete extinction.

People may have complained about Tasmanian Tigers killed sheep and were hunted to extinction but people would give their right arm to see them wild again.

According to the article

Wolves killed 8500 sheep killed in 2014
15M Euro paid out in compensation in 2012
Sheep killed have risen 2/3 since 2011.

Therefore a rise from 5120 killed in 2011 to 8500 (a 2/3 rise).
Compensation paid out in 2012
Therefore 15MEuro/5120 = 2900 EURO PER SHEEP WTF?

Stupid question, which farmer in the UK is paying 2900 euro for a sheep?

The Swedes have a lot more interaction with wolves - they have a lot more land and tiny numbers of human settlements in the main wolf areas, yet speaking to Swedish hunters and they generally don't want wolves because they kill their dogs.

The animal population which most needs controlling is the human population. We cannot have wild places, and a mix of wild animals, while at the same time building roads, taxing farms to extinction so they can become subdivisions, and letting dogs and cats roam all over the place, killing small game and birds.

Many of the tree and bunny huggers want to have it both ways. They want to live in cushy urban and suburban homes, then drive a short distance to a totally wild enclave full of deer, foxes, wild cats, bears, wolves, wild boar, eagles, etc. And the farmers nearby are supposed to find a way to raise lots of cheap food for these urbanites, while letting the wild game feast on their crops and livestock.

A few weeks ago, I went on a trip researching my ancestors in Virginia, and read journals about their struggles on the frontier. One entry was about Daniel Boone and his exploration party camping on the farm on their way to search for a gap through the Cumberland mountains. Wolves were living in a cave and came down to attack the dogs in their camp, and had to be fought off. I wish more mall hikers and once-a-year explorers could experience something similar.

We get wild dogs here, mainly dingo crosses and I've been lost out night with those guys around howling and barking with nothing but a knife and my 30-06 for company. I'm glad to say Melbourne has it both ways. Less than a couple of hours from the CBD you can be hunting wild deer in extremely thick forest. The main issue is the terrain. If its flat and good soil, chances are it was cleared years ago with no much natural vegetation left. More mountainous terrain was much harder and generally left providing a haven for animals.

I like having wild places and wild animals, but the very aggressive predators have to be controlled, no matter whether they are small or large, or they will decimate their prey populations until the predator population is reduced by famine and disease. Feral cats and dogs are a serious problem for songbirds, quail and grouse. Large predators like big cats and bears need large areas which are totally uninhabited by people.

I have camped among wolves howling every night, where they have been introduced and reduced the deer populations by 90%. That is out of balance. A lot of the schemes of do-gooders are based in emotion, ignorance and dismissal of the hunters, ranchers and farmers who are closest to and know the most about wildlife - again, out of balance.

I like having wild places and wild animals, but the very aggressive predators have to be controlled, no matter whether they are small or large, or they will decimate their prey populations until the predator population is reduced by famine and disease. Feral cats and dogs are a serious problem for songbirds, quail and grouse. Large predators like big cats and bears need large areas which are totally uninhabited by people.

QUOTE]

There lie the problem - there are no (or at least very very few) wild places any more. The re-wilding nut jobs (who are mainly urbanites) think the Highlands of Scotland are wild. Highland Region has a population density of 9.1 people/sq KM, with the lowest County (Sutherland) having 2.3 per sq Km. and that is the residents, what about the massive numbers of walkers, cyclists, climbers and general tourists that visit these area - are all these people to be put at risk so that some urbanite can come out with binos and spot a "wild" animal?

QUOTE]

There lie the problem - there are no (or at least very very few) wild places any more. The re-wilding nut jobs (who are mainly urbanites) think the Highlands of Scotland are wild. Highland Region has a population density of 9.1 people/sq KM, with the lowest County (Sutherland) having 2.3 per sq Km. and that is the residents, what about the massive numbers of walkers, cyclists, climbers and general tourists that visit these area - are all these people to be put at risk so that some urbanite can come out with binos and spot a "wild" animal?

Billy Connolly ***** himself when he comes to Australia. Scared of spiders, snakes, jellyfish etc.

We still get plenty of tourists.

According to the article

Wolves killed 8500 sheep killed in 2014
15M Euro paid out in compensation in 2012
Sheep killed have risen 2/3 since 2011.

Therefore a rise from 5120 killed in 2011 to 8500 (a 2/3 rise).
Compensation paid out in 2012
Therefore 15MEuro/5120 = 2900 EURO PER SHEEP WTF?

Try having a look at the Blackface Tup sales next time you are in Lanark.

:D

That would be about run-of-the mill price for a half decent tup.
WHY we spend that sort of money (and more) on tups, when the lambs are worth bugger all, is beyond me. But we do.

Back