Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brit faces the lash in Saudi

Brit faces the lash in Saudi

I saw the furore on the news today about this. (link below) am I missing something but the law in Saudi is pretty damn clear in this? At 74 years old I am pretty sure the man was not there on holiday (why would anyone be (on holiday in Saudi Arabia))for Gods sake?)

Most likely a long term ex-pat who would have been well aware of the risk he ran. Not sure why this is such a big deal. The man got busted plain and simple and he would have known the risks. I feel for him and his family truly but, he bought it on himself… I do of course hope they release him without further torment.

Brewing ale/wine within ex-pat compounds generally has a "blind-eye" (though still risky) . Transporting in the vehicle . Stupid..

David Cameron to write to Saudi government over alcohol case - BBC News
    Last edited by Ade8mm; 13-10-2015 at 18:12. Reason: predictive txt

Of course you are right, this man knew the law, had spent a lot of time there and knew the risks.

However, 12 months+ in prison followed by 135 lashes before release for having a couple of home brewed bottles of wine in the boot? Come on. Call me a namby-pamby liberalist if you want, but it does seem a bit excessive.

Compare it with this country where you have to get caught doing burglaries around there times before you can get a 12 month stretch and even then there's a fair chance of it being suspended. Two opposites it seems.

Maybe if we were a lot harsher with our punishments we'd have a better behaved society? Who knows, criminals certainly don't fear the police, courts or prisons anymore.

Brit faces the lash in Saudi

I work in saudi

I'm afraid,you can't compare the two countries at all .....and shouldn't even try.

Paul
    Last edited by sauer; 14-10-2015 at 08:47.

Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    Maybe if we were a lot harsher with our punishments we'd have a better behaved society? Who knows, criminals certainly don't fear the police, courts or prisons anymore.
    Shame we don't embrace the Saudi methods for treatment of criminals! A few hands lopped off for thieving would make them think twice.

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?

Hate to say it, but it's a culture thing. We all complain a lot when they come over here and ignore our rules, not sure we have the right to complain when we go over there and break theirs. Punishment might be a bit harsh.
    So much to learn and so little time left

Quote Originally Posted by Dragunov View Post
    Shame we don't embrace the Saudi methods for treatment of criminals! A few hands lopped off for thieving would make them think twice.
    They wouldn't do it a third time that's for sure

The Irony of the punishment for going on the Lash in the first place!!!

If he didn't do it he wouldn't be punished

I've worked all around there Dubai , UAE , Saudi and many other places if you abide by there countries rules there's no problem and most of the people are lovely people and welcome you

I read somewhere that the was an oil executive for an oil company out there for 25 years so probably got a bit gung ho or it could have been an old employee turned policeman and got his own back.