Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Trail Cam

Best Trail Cam

Looking for a trail cam and can't find an up to date thread on what is best out there. Budget probably about £100 unless you're going to tell me I need to spend more.

Want it it to ID what's eating feed around my pheasant feeders and what's messing with the electric fence box, suspect both are badgers. Also to try to see the occasional deer and what time they are transiting through.

Quote Originally Posted by karlbird View Post
    Looking for a trail cam and can't find an up to date thread on what is best out there. Budget probably about £100 unless you're going to tell me I need to spend more.

Want it it to ID what's eating feed around my pheasant feeders and what's messing with the electric fence box, suspect both are badgers. Also to try to see the occasional deer and what time they are transiting through.
    I have 3 of the Swan brand, got them from Macro's..... I mount them on stakes as it is far easier to find a decent position as the right tree in the right place is never where the slots are...!!

A few tips,

Good quality batteries.
    When you set it in place the grass/branch you have pushed over/back will pop back up and cover the lens!! (picture 3 )
    So make sure you attend to that!!
    Set the unit on the highest value of picture quality.
    Have a spare card to swap over.
    Leave it for a few days or when you check the feeder.
    If you have a digital camera then you can pop the card and check the results on site.

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

I've been using Ltl Acorn cams recently to good effect. Not sure how they compare to other brands though.
    Deer Stalking. Training and Courses. Deer Stalking Certificate Level 1, Training and Witnessing for the Level 2 Assessment.
    www.deercentral.co.uk

Interesting tread, good replys so far, can you add prices please

thanks

Spycam has various options and with the Internet function, they can be programmed to send the photos to your iPhone or computer email address, also ensure you get black LED or they will stand out in the night and then go missing.....

I have had two Swann Outbacks, they are excellent with a good picture quality.
    However both developed faults after quite limited use.

Recently I purchased eight SpyPoint BF-8 cams for our DMG: They were already in use by other members and came highly recommended, a middle-of-the-road model that will suit our needs for around £120 Incl. VAT.
    I recommend that you also purchase a steel security box and security cabling, and security-tag them with a product such as SmartWater, as many trail cams get stolen. That gives you peace of mind while the cam is up out in the woodlands somewhere.
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

There is a very lengthy set of threads on her relating to the Maginon cameras sold by Lidl/Aldi. For £75 they are great. Mines been very usefull. However, black LEDs is way to go. Munties and to some extent reds do notice the red LEDs.

To all intents and purposes the Maginon is a clone of a little acorn which are well regarded. I have no experience of the more high tech versions. Fortunatly mine gets used in v private places but I do have a steel cable and lock if need be.

D

If you suddenly find that daylight pictures/videos are still appearing, but nothing in darkness, it is a sign that the batteries are going down. I have found this with both Bushnell and Stealth cameras.

I got the little acorn 6310wmc plus sd card £159.40 from Amazon.
    24 Duracell AAA from Screwfix £14.00.
    It was a mistake to only get one SD card, I now have two.
    I am still losing my trailcam virginity.

Best Trail Cam

Go to Pakatak.com
    If needing spares for the acorn
    I know older models recommend not to use duracells but energizer lithium
    I'll try to see if I can find the reason ... Think it was on Ron bury website

Edited fount it
    Ron Bury's Wildlife: Camera Technical Support

Paul
    Last edited by sauer; 14-10-2015 at 13:50.