Thread: Rem 700 SPS dilema

Rem 700 SPS dilema

I already have a Left Handed Rem 700 SPS in .308
    My dilemma is do I get it threaded for a moderator or bite the bullet and get a lighter rifle that's ready threaded.
    The primary use would be woodland stalking

Quote Originally Posted by Ferryman View Post
    I already have a Left Handed Rem 700 SPS in .308
    My dilemma is do I get it threaded for a moderator or bite the bullet and get a lighter rifle that's ready threaded.
    The primary use would be woodland stalking
    I don't follow the question at all. I think you need to explain a bit more what you are trying to achieve and why? Threading a rifle is surely much quicker and cheaper than buying another rifle? Do you have a variation for a moderator? Do you have a variation for another rifle?

Regards JCS

The Varmint model is heavy barrelled and I use it for target shooting.
    It is a heavy rifle to lug around the woods especially with the addition of a moderator.
    Yes I already have the variation to add a moderator

Ah, you didn't say it was the varmint barrel in your first post...

The short and possibly unhelpful answer is to buy another rifle, a lighter weight stalker, and keep your Remington for targets.

you will struggle target shooting with a stalking rifle and of course the other way round.

I had a left handed Remington with a fluted varmint barrel and an HS stock in 308. I shortened it down to 20" from 26" as soon as I got it and fitted it with a moderator. It accounted for a fair few deer in a woodland setting, but I'm much happier now with a second hand Sako L691 in 6.5x55 with a 23" shorter barrel and a wooden stock that I got second hand. Although the both weigh about the same the Sako is easier to handle - don't know why, especially on sticks.

I thought about fitting the remington with a McMillan stock and a sporter barrel but in the end it was cheaper to cop it in and replace. You can't really go wrong with an old Sako or a Tikka T3

Yes I figured by the time I got the barrel re profiled screwed for a moderator and found a replacement stock I might just as well either chop the SPS Varmint in or get an additional .308 for stalking