Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extraordinarily dangerous ignorance in rifle classified ad (not on SD)

Extraordinarily dangerous ignorance in rifle classified ad (not on SD)

Just spotted this in the Q&A section of an ad on French website naturabuy.fr, in this ad for a pump-action .35 Whelen rifle.

Q : Bonjour un échange avec une Browning semi auto (2+1)Vous intéresserez? elle est en 7x64 (on peut mettre aussi du 270 win, 30.06 et du un autre calibre je sais plus lequel le chargeur et l'arme reçoit 4 calibres en tout.

Hello, would you be interested by a swap for a Browning semi-auto? It's in 7x64 (you can also use 270 win, 30-06 and another calibre, I can't remember which, the magazine and the rifle can take four calibres

A : Bonjour
    Comment cela est il possible que l'arme puisse tirer autant de calibre? Cela est impossible....

Hello.
    How is possible that the rifle can shoot as many calibres? It's impossible...
    Cordially

Q : si si... je vous mettrez une photo du chargeur avec tout les calibre. Pour info j'utilise du 7x64 et du 270win. Les balle sont identique et la chambre reçoit tous ces calibres...

It is, it is... I'll put up a picture of the magazine with all the calibres. FYI I use 7x64 and 270win. The bullets are identical and the chamber can take all the cartridges

A: Que le chargeur accepte tout ok, mais la chambre non c'est impossible, contactez un armurier si vous voulez...

That the magazine will take them is OK, but not the chamber, that's impossible, ask a gunsmith if you like.

Q: je vais faire ça. Mais l'on me l'a assurer. ( par exemple il est possible de tirer du 280 dans du 7x64) donc c'est pas impossible

I'll do that. But I've been assured it's true. (For example, it's possible to shoot .280 through a 7x64) so it's not impossible.

Takes "fire forming" to new heights!

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

What a lemon! He can't have actually done this surely? Or maybe he has and now has a whacking great hole in the side of the breach so now it will take any cartridge you want to put in it!! Lol

I know of somebody who used to use .22/250 in his .243

Not called Robert SOLE by any chance ? ( r.sole)

Quote Originally Posted by Foxshot View Post
    I know of somebody who used to use .22/250 in his .243
    What were his groups like?

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Why would someone do this in the first place, it's so strange!!

Quote Originally Posted by AlexN View Post
    Why would someone do this in the first place, it's so strange!!

Darwin Award contender.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Darwin Award contender.
    Yep; natural de-selection!

Getting back to the original nut jobs insistance that the rifle is a) chambered in 7x64 but designed to take multiple calibres; and b) he has fired both .270 and 7x64 through it.

a) It's a 7x64 rifle but the magazine may well be marked with .270, 7x64, 30-06, (and I'm guessing possibly 9.3x62 being the missing one), as those cartridges have near enough overall case dimensions other than calibre to utilise a single magazine.

b) Looking at the differences between the 7x64 and the .270, it appears that it might be possible to chamber and fire a .270 in the rifle as other than the .284 bullet compared to .277 the dimensions are very close. It's a semi-auto as well so the chamber might be a bit on the 'generous' side, which would help.

I doubt he's tried 30-06 or 9.3x62 though, as they'd not chamber - or he's already missing part of the action, (and some of his anatomy!).