loss of zero

Scots_stalker

Hi guys. I was out sunday morning And came across a murder buck at about 120 yards , I could get down onto the ground and take the shot using the bi pod so thats what i did.

Good backstop and he turned side on so i had took the shot to the chest. Bang. He just stood and looked at me. I quickly reloaded and fired again and saw the round inpact the hill behind him. And he ran off.

I called it a day and went and got a board and targets. At 60 yards the rounds struck 2foot low and a foot to the right .

Whats puzzling me is the week before i was shooting 1inch groups at 160 yards. The guns not had a knock as far as i know.

Your theories??

base/mount/ring screws worked loose, action screws worked loose..assume barrel is good, not been cleaned and had oil in it, same ammo, etc. obviously

Sorry. It is a new vortex viper pst 6-24x50 on my tikka T3. Using federal 100g. Everything is tight and lock tight

assume all's been working fine up to that point, first thing to check are screws, oil in barrel next, shoot, if still shjite then take mod off in case that's an issue, if still an issue, try changing scopes as it's likely to be the issue. Also assume it's the same lot ammo you shot with last.

Moreover, I imagine you might be running optilocs, if so, have you check the screws that go from the bottom of the base up into the rings? didn't think so ;)

assume all's been working fine up to that point, first thing to check are screws, oil in barrel next, shoot, if still shjite then take mod off in case that's an issue, if still an issue, try changing scopes as it's likely to be the issue. Also assume it's the same lot ammo you shot with last.

Moreover, I imagine you might be running optilocs, if so, have you check the screws that go from the bottom of the base up into the rings? didn't think so ;)

I had it firing one inch groups again at 140 yards again after sighing in. The initial loss of zero is puzzling though

I had it firing one inch groups again at 140 yards again after sighing in. The initial loss of zero is puzzling though

then something is loose or slipping but doesn't slip when you're on the range because the rifle is not moved about, POI dropping 2ft low sounds like the scope slipping back in the rings potentially,,,or,,the scope is not reliable.

A good scope in good rings/mounts/bases should be able to take a heck of a beating and bouncing about in a truck or argo or survive a drop or fall without affecting zero...a wee knock here or there should not move the scope...unless you've got young one's at the house who found the keys to daddy's gun cabinet...

Had something similar a while back. It was due to my moderator being loose! doesn't have to be much, just a quarter turn will do it.

then something is loose or slipping but doesn't slip when you're on the range because the rifle is not moved about, POI dropping 2ft low sounds like the scope slipping back in the rings potentially,,,or,,the scope is not reliable.

A good scope in good rings/mounts/bases should be able to take a heck of a beating and bouncing about in a truck or argo or survive a drop or fall without affecting zero...a wee knock here or there should not move the scope...unless you've got young one's at the house who found the keys to daddy's gun cabinet...

you made a lot of sense up until the last bit about the keys. What a bloody stupid thing to insinuate

you made a lot of sense up until the last bit about the keys. What a bloody stupid thing to insinuate

I thought it was quite funny do you take everything so seriously.The thought of changing the settings on someones scope to wind them up appeals to my sense of humour(pardon the pun]

I thought it was quite funny do you take everything so seriously.The thought of changing the settings on someones scope to wind them up appeals to my sense of humour(pardon the pun]

I like to think ive a good sense of humour. But to insinuate on an open form that i might be careless enough to leave the keys to my gunsafe lying about so kids can gain entry so they can adjust my POA is beyond funny. Dont you think ?

I would have read it that he was joking not insinuating anything, after all he was trying to help you in a number of posts.

This happened to me once, except round(s) went 4" off, this was due to the fact that when I took(pulled) the rifle out of the padded case it changed the windage knob.

You say you have a votex does it have dialable turrets if so check that its not moved. On my Leupold I have now taped the windage turret to prevent it happening again.

D

Do you have inserts in the scope rings that may have shifted?
Happened to me when (in a rush) threw a new scope on. Zero'd fine, but hadn't evenly tightened the screws and at some point the insert popped/ slipped forward and knocked the zero out.

Do you have a cabinet with a load of stuff in it, cause most cabinets are not very big, i think they are not really built for the amount of rifles etc that they state and you find that your having to squeeze the gear to get in, say for instance me, 243 tikka, Nightforce 5.5-22x56 and laser on top, I find that when i shut the door it sometimes pushes on the stock and i then have to adjust the way i put it in but when i took it out to zero it was a few inches out after such an incident but nowhere near whats happening to you. I always loosen my Mod after shooting and cleaning, maybe just a wee bit loose? if scope screws are tight then last possibility the scope not holding zero, hope you get it sorted.

Back