Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three Close Encounters in Two Mornings.

Three Close Encounters in Two Mornings.

Yesterday I was out in a fenland wood looking for Muntjac. I had been stalking the paths for some time when I decided to try some calling.
    Owing to the regeneration of the woodland understory, good calling spots are few and far between.
    I got set up with the rifle on the sticks, my back against a tree, the north wind in my face and started calling with the cherry-wood.

After a few minutes I saw a movement to my right as a deer went from one piece of cover to another. As I had only a glance, I thought it to be a Muntjac Doe. I got ready and eventually it peeped our from behind a tree. The cross hairs were on its neck when I realised that it was in fact a young Chinese Water Deer. We do not shoot the CWD in accordance with the landowners wishes.

I watched as the deer came steadily towards me, crossed a semi-dry ditch and stopped next to my leg. I stood stock still, hardly daring to breath as the young deer examined my boots and trousers, before moving off. I could easily have touched it. What a treat. I have had them walk within ten feet of me but never so close that I could have touched one.

This morning I was out again before the dawn in another of our fenland woods. About half past eight, I decided to try a spot of calling.
    As soon as I move off the path into the woodland block I bumped a Muntjac Doe who moved off into cover but did not flag nor bark.
    I got set up with my rifle on the sticks, back against a tree and the wind in my face, waited a few minutes, then started to call.

I was looking ahead when I saw a movement out of the corner of my left eye. I glanced at the movement and there, not ten feet away was a Muntjac Buck, looking straight at me. Once again I dare hardly breath and stood stock still, as the slightest movement would have seen him off in alarm
    He stood there, licking his nose and stamping his front feet alternately but softly. There was nothing for it but to wait and see what he would do.
    Eventually he turned and walked away the way he came, towards thick cover.

When he had gone about twenty yards and his head was behind a sapling, I moved and took the shot into his ribs. He dropped and didn't move, which surprised me as I though his adrenalin would have been flowing.

I reloaded and thinking to myself that there was a Doe somewhere nearby, after a few minutes, I started calling again. Within a few minutes I saw the slightest flicker of an ear from the same direction that the buck had appeared from. This time I was ready and kept her covered with the rifle until a slight movement gave me the opportunity of a clear neck shot. She too dropped to the shot and lay still about ten feet from the carcass of the buck.

Calling Muntjac has always fascinated me, however I have to admit that I am little wiser regarding what I am saying to them, than when I first started.

Fascinating!
    im also unsure of what we're saying to them when calling, and have little practical experience to speak of really.
    i had always assumed the call imitated the fawn, therefore calling in the doe or Buck looking for the doe. However recently I observed a doe calling to a buck who was pursuing her hard. It was a high fiep call, which I managed to replicate effectively enough with my buttalo to call in the Buck and cull it.

have you any similar experiences?

Can you call muntjac all year round?

I have never had any luck calling munties in but nice to hear your experience. Must have been fantastic to have the deer come up and smell you.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    Fascinating!
    im also unsure of what we're saying to them when calling, and have little practical experience to speak of really.
    i had always assumed the call imitated the fawn, therefore calling in the doe or Buck looking for the doe. However recently I observed a doe calling to a buck who was pursuing her hard. It was a high fiep call, which I managed to replicate effectively enough with my buttalo to call in the Buck and cull it.

have you any similar experiences?
    I have never deliberately called a buck in the situation that you describe. It is only in recent years that I have become aware of the Doe call when being chased by a Buck but that was not by personal observation. Looking through my records I cull about four Bucks for every Doe. I call more than half of the Muntjac that I shoot, however it is getting much more difficult to find a good calling spot now, owing to regrowth of ground cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat7530 View Post
    Can you call muntjac all year round?
    The short answer is yes you can. I have not noticed any real difference in seasonal responses. In the summer months calling is almost impossible in our woods owing to the cover. All one achieves is educating the deer.
    On some days (at any season) there is no response at all. Why it works sometimes and not others remains a mystery to me. I have hatched several theories over the years but none have held up.

Quote Originally Posted by The Singing Stalker View Post
    I have never had any luck calling munties in but nice to hear your experience. Must have been fantastic to have the deer come up and smell you.
    Yes it was a real treat.
    I am not absolutely sure that the CWD came to the call but if not, it was a remarkable coincidence.

As far as achieving success in calling Muntjac, there are a few real essentials. Stealth, enter the area very quietly and get set up with your back to a tree, with rifle on the sticks. Wait five or ten minutes before starting to call. Move as little as you can. Wear face net and gloves. Start calling very softly by muting the call with your hand. Don't over do the calling as less is more. Less and quiet calling achieves much better results in my experience. Give each location at least half an hour before moving on. Carefully glass the area with your binoculars before moving. I have sometimes seen part of a head and eye peeping from behind a tree that I had been unaware of before carefully glassing.
    I hope you have some success soon. Best regards.

Great write up mate. I was out this morning too and even though I blanked (again!) I got about 15 yards from a Roe Doe which was in full winter coat and made it a pleasant outing!
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

From my experience it appears that if there is a doe in the area that is ready for mating then bucks will come to the call very quickly. If you see a buck following a doe then it's almost a given that he's going to come to the call. Keep calling and you may well get another one come in too? If no does are receptive in the area then there is a lot more to it and I'm probably just not clued up enough to trick them in any way regularly.
    baguio

i shot a nice muntjac doe wed morning at 8am just coming out of a large wood heading from some maize i am fairly new to deer stalking and would love to now more about calling muntjac .what call did you use ?

Quote Originally Posted by steve w View Post
    i shot a nice muntjac doe wed morning at 8am just coming out of a large wood heading from some maize i am fairly new to deer stalking and would love to now more about calling muntjac .what call did you use ?
    I use the squeeze type and the Cherry Wood blow type. I tune them both just a little higher pitched than for Roe.
    There is quite a lot on SD if you use the search facility. If you can get someone competent to show you how to do it, then that would be very valuable.
    It seems to be an art rather than a quantifiable skill though.
    Be conservative as it is very easy to overdo it and educate the Muntjac rather than bag them. Good luck.