Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Renting

Renting

Right guys im sure this was asked before but I couldnt find the thread so here goes....me and the wife are looking to buy our first house but living on the outskirts of london properties we like and can afford are few and far between at the minute. We currently live with my father in law but he is selling up and moving to norfolk.

So rather than rushing and buying a house were not happy with we have decided to rent short term while we continue to look for a suitable house. Now my question is when we find a place to rent (the wife is looking at some today) do I legally have to tell the angency/landlord that I have firearms? I will need to put my safe in the property obviously and I have always asked before I move in (I rented by myself before I met my wife) if its ok to fix things to walls etc and cover them all up before I move out, But the last time I rented I didnt have an FAC/SGC. Im not sure wether I have to tell them or not. I prefer not to tell anyone that I dont know that I have firearms but if I have to tell them then I will.

Any landlords renters on here have any advice?

Cheers

Dave

I would have thought that having a FAC was a good character reference, in the eyes of the landlord/agency.

Quote Originally Posted by JTO View Post
    I would have thought that having a FAC was a good character reference, in the eyes of the landlord/agency.
    Yes I think it is as well but ideally I dont want anyone I dont know knowing I have firearms in the property. and obviously the landlord will be able to gain access whenever they want. If by law I have to tell them then I will.

we are both proffesionals working in the city so we have references in that sense.

2 years ago when i moved where i live now, through a letting agency, i had to tell them and ask permission to fit the gun cabinet in the property. I got permission to drill a wall but i have to put it right once i'm moving out. Also they asked to see my SGC/FAC to make sure the guns are legally owned. Everything was pretty much straight forward.
    Even though they've got keys from the property, i've got a code lock on the door of the cellar(where i keep my guns) and i'm the only person whom knows the code.

Cheers Shootgun. Just been having a quick google. and the general consensus is most people tell there landlords they have an FAC/SGC. I dont mind showing them my FAC etc.

Obviously my keys are always with me or well hidden so no one could actually get them out the cabinet

Just ask permission to fix a security cabinet/safe, for your valuables, to a solid wall.

My landlord doesn't know I have guns (or rather, I have never told him, he might have noticed the cabinet and guessed, but if he has then he's never mentioned it)

Ask for permission to bolt a safe to the wall. It's none of their business what you're keeping in it and if they ask, you can make up something mundane.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSimon View Post
    My landlord doesn't know I have guns (or rather, I have never told him, he might have noticed the cabinet and guessed, but if he has then he's never mentioned it)

Ask for permission to bolt a safe to the wall. It's none of their business what you're keeping in it and if they ask, you can make up something mundane.
    That was what I told my wife to ask them. I would need to read the contract first though as I believe they can state no firearms are allowed in the property. But to be fair I have never seen that in any tenancy agreement I have signed

I rent and I asked my landlord about fitting a gun cabinet, in the 3 properties I've done it in, I've never encountered any problems. I'm also a Landlord, and certainly wouldn't have any problem with my tenants fitting a gun cabinet, as has been said, it's a pretty decent indication that the tenant is responsible and won't be having noisy parties and wrecking the place in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmer View Post
    it's a pretty decent indication that the tenant is responsible and won't be having noisy parties and wrecking the place in my opinion.
    +1