Thread: A tale of two rivers

A tale of two rivers

Although the trout are over and done with the salmon and sea trout season doesn't really wrap up until today, the 15th, and there are even a few options right to the end of the month. However, yesterday was my last day for this season and I determined to make a day of it, and to catch some fish.

I set off fairly early and headed for my first target river with a view to catching a few sea trout. Earlier in the season there were some great runs of decent sized sea trout into the system but most of the fish I've been getting recently have been much smaller at around 1 - 15.lb. I timed my approach so I was arriving on the river just about the high tide as it generally fishes best as the tide sucks out. It was a nice day to be on the river, though the cold nip in the air gave some hint that we were well into autumn:

As mentioned the lower reaches of the river are tidal and at this time of year there is often a very late run of salmon as well as the sea trout for which the river is better known. Yesterday there was no sign of the salmon but with the decent tides I was hopeful of a fish or two:

The fish were not easy to get yesterday as they appeared scattered throughout the river and it seemed necessary to keep moving and also to keep changing fly in order to get some fish. As I expected the fish were not big but even so it is great sport to be getting a fresh run sea trout, literally just in on the tide, on lighter tackle:

After just over an hour of this sport it was time to move on and head for another river to target a salmon. Being honest this year has not been great for salmon and, of course, with it being late the fish are stale and coloured. However this is another river that sometimes gets a late run of fresh fish. Last year the late run came in on the 14th October so there was hope:

There wasn't a whole lot of water in the river but the cloud was good to see as for the most part the conditions have, recently, looked like this a lot:

As it was my last day I put some considerable effort and concentration into my fishing, usually I just sort of lounge about and drink tea a lot:

In due course I was rewarded with a reasonable, but very coloured, fish:

That seemed like a good point to end the season and with a few sea trout and a salmon (plus an out of season brown trout) I was happy enough to snip off the flies and head for home. Unfortunately the ferry is now in my future:

For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Cracking read.

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Looks like you had a cracking time, nice fish there and checking the pictures of Beach etc That looks absolutely stunning.

Thanks for that, i like the picture showing your line over the river, just waiting for a fish to take!
    Cheers
    Richard

I think i lifted the rod reading that Caroach.
    I'll be starting in earnest for the next few months on the Welsh Dee for the Grayling,nice crisp mornings.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0631.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	62187

Thanks for that and your excellent pictures. I love reading about the Hebrides. Apparently we're heading up there next year, but I still have to be instructed as to where the holidays are...

Quote Originally Posted by oager View Post
    Thanks for that and your excellent pictures. I love reading about the Hebrides. Apparently we're heading up there next year, but I still have to be instructed as to where the holidays are...
    If you are coming up to Lewis and want some fishing info then be sure to get in touch. Each year, indeed each day, is different but we have such a range of fishing that it is usually possible to get good sport no matter what the weather, or how the year is panning out.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Thanks for the reports, caorach, I've enjoyed reading them. It has been a while since I've been up to Lewis (10 years or so), hopefully I'll make it back someday.