Thread: Red calf

Red calf

Keeper mate introduced a red stag and some hinds to his park which already had fallow and has done for several centuries, shut into a fenced wood they did well and some of the hinds calved in June as you'd expect .imagine his surprise when a calf turned up last week clearly only about 2/3 weeks old ! Anyone heard of this before certainly not the norm .
    thanks Norma

That's unfortunate, its chances of making it through the winter will be very small, in fact I suggest it would be kinder to shoot it. The hind then stands a good chance of getting pregnant to calf at a more normal time next year.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberstag View Post
    That's unfortunate, its chances of making it through the winter will be very small, in fact I suggest it would be kinder to shoot it. The hind then stands a good chance of getting pregnant to calf at a more normal time next year.
    I disagree. The calf will make it thru the winter if the hind is in good condition.

They do get hay and supplementary food daily during the winter ,
    norma

No reason for it starving if they are getting supplimentary feed each day.

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?

Hi, had the same thing about 4 weeks ago but 2 hinds with a calf each. This happens most years in the park and if the hinds are good mothers then no reason they wont make it. You could put out a bag of ewe nuts or similar just to help them out if it gets bad over winter. Good luck with them.

Quote Originally Posted by keeperbob View Post
    Hi, had the same thing about 4 weeks ago but 2 hinds with a calf each. This happens most years in the park and if the hinds are good mothers then no reason they wont make it. You could put out a bag of ewe nuts or similar just to help them out if it gets bad over winter. Good luck with them.
    Bob do you think it's the same hinds each yr having the late calves ..?
    Cheers
    norma

I've seen this in Fallow and Sika and it is due to a fawn which is probably born quite early becoming sexually mature and being covered in its first year! This clearly happens a few months after the normal rut and results in the situation you describe. I did a thread on it a while back here:
    http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...t-Fallow-Fawns
    If you can manage to cull the mother you will probably find it is less than 2 years old.
    MS
    Last edited by Monkey Spanker; 16-10-2015 at 19:15.