Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trousers

trousers

hi guys im after a new pair of trousers budget 100 need to be water resistant, thorn proof and just greatly hard wearing can you suggest any iv been looking at these

http://www.bushwear.co.uk/styles.php?ProductID=101017&ClassID=177
    http://www.bushwear.co.uk/styles.php?ProductID=101075&ClassID=177

can any one recommend any more???

Russ

Russ - Try The SwedTeam jobs, I cant remember the name of them but they are about 45. Get yourself 2 pairs and you will be a happy man. They are not fully waterproof but are pretty close. I have two pairs nnow and would not swap them. They are perfect summer trousers but I also wear them in winter!

atb
    Sam
    "Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore

Hi Russ, my opinions on this are subject to change as I try different things. From where I'm sitting I can see 4 pairs of waterproof trousers and they are only the tip of the iceburg.

My current favourite, at about 80, are these:

http://www.swillingtonshootingsuppli...rush-Trousers/

Now, they are not as heavy as most Harkila trousers and so probably not as robust but they have survived quite well for me and have lasted nearly a year so far. Usually I destroy waterproof trousers in a few weeks, it is rare for them to last a month. They are waterproof even if you sit or kneel in them and are not too warm to stalk in even in September on the hill. The pockets are OK and have bullet loops which are handy. The camo pattern seems a bit odd but actually works OK on the hill. I'd say well worth 80.

I have also tried trousers by
    Paramo - lasted a few days and only waterproof if you don't sit/kneel in them. Comfortable and breathable though.
    Deerhunter - looked good and robust but lasted for about a month and were never very waterproof. Don't think I will try them again.
    Cabelas - very good but far too warm to wear for walking/stalking on the hill in all but mid-winter would be good in a high seat though. Not as waterproof as the Harkila. I had a previous pair by Cabelas that were lighter and very robust/waterproof. In fact they lasted until my belly got to big to fit in them and the camo pattern had almost washed out. Cabelas are worth a try but you have to order from the US and so there is no try before you buy option plus their range changes very fast so if you get something good this year it will probably be discontinued by next year. The price is usually good.
    Harkila - Have looked at them in the shop and impressions are most are very robust and heavy weight and probably going to be too warm for stalking in, certainly on the hill. Suspect they will be up to the job though.

Plus some others that don't come to mind right now. I hope that helps a little and no matter what you decide on be sure to shop around and see if there are any end of line bargins to be had, such as with the Harkilas in the link above. No point paying more than you have to.

SD Regular
    North yorkshire/sometimes down south and occasionally further north
    what size waist are you?

Deerhunter Ram trousers with HiTena cloth on the front.

Excellent trousers
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Laksen Sika, I got 2 pairs in the Litts blitzs and wish I had got more, they are warm, silent and waterproof.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen magson View Post
    what size waist are you?
    34 / 36 depending on how generos the size is mate

SD Regular
    North yorkshire/sometimes down south and occasionally further north
    bummer!.....i have some Nomad stealth trousers sat in my cupboard doing nowt as they are too warm for me!....but they're a 32"

sorry

i use a pair of ex mod artic trousers, doublel layer so they are water proof wind proof and thorn proof, although they get a little bit soggy if its persisting it down

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Russ - Try The SwedTeam jobs, I cant remember the name of them but they are about 45. Get yourself 2 pairs and you will be a happy man. They are not fully waterproof but are pretty close. I have two pairs nnow and would not swap them. They are perfect summer trousers but I also wear them in winter!
    +1 if they are the Swedteam Hermalins http://www.bushwear.co.uk/styles.php...51&ClassID=162
    Attachment 963
    Good enough for summer, autum and geneneral use but put some money together for a decent winter/hardweather pair - maybe Harkila Kodiaks if you can find some end-of-line bargains?