Ruddy Muntjac!!!!!!!

stratts

I would say that the majority of the authors that commonly describe Muntjac as 'illusive little deer' in the many books I've read can't have actually stalked them regularly! Otherwise they would change their view and describe them as 'f#@king annoying little sh?ts that can hide under a leaf and appear from under your nose barking as they dissappear into the undergrowth never to be seen again!!!!'. Or something along those lines!! :lol:

As you may have deciphered I'm having a bit of a barren time of late and getting a tad perturbed at bumping the little feckers before getting chance to shoot em! Although the old timers that are in the dmg have been doing such a sterling job shooting them over the years that as you can see it is rather tricky now everything has regenerated!! This is one of the clearer rides!!

I think next time I go I'll dig out the onesie as it can't possibly get any worse!! I've even started describing myself as a deer disturber, rather than deerstalker when I tell people what I do as a hobby!! :D

Clumsy old Stratts

Stratts old mate I'm sure many of us know the feeling well!
On my Roe permission it is thick woodland with a lot of undergrowth at the moment, so much so that you can have roe lying up just yards from you without realising it till the little devils decide to make a break for it in the least expected of places! Or even more frustratingly when they decide to show and offer what would be an ideal broadside shot - When you only have the shotgun with you.
I guess right now I too would have to class myself more as a Deer Bumper than a Deer Stalker!
Edit: Any chance of a photo of you in a onsie?:rofl:

Get in a highseat a long time before first light and be patient. Far better chance than stumbling into them. Shot 3 this morning from a seat looking over a fairly overgrown area, much more than I would have foot stalking.

How I get them on foot is to back up into the hedge with the wind in my face, put the rifle on the quad sticks in that direction ( with your ride I would be just off the cover) and wait.
Why the quad sticks? The weight is on the sticks the rifle is flat, leaving me just to make a small adjustment for the shot, as you ride is narrow I would just use a few soft calls on the buttolo.
Seats do work but so does field craft (which does not come in a packet or on line :doh:)

Tim.243

How I get them on foot is to back up into the hedge with the wind in my face, put the rifle on the quad sticks in that direction ( with your ride I would be just off the cover) and wait.
Why the quad sticks? The weight is on the sticks the rifle is flat, leaving me just to make a small adjustment for the shot, as you ride is narrow I would just use a few soft calls on the buttolo.
Seats do work but so does field craft (which does not come in a packet or on line :doh:)

Tim.243

Can't beat a seat at this time of year with the height of the cover, even the best ninja "fieldcraft" isn't any good if you can't see them over the bracken or long grass.

Back