Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SIG SHR 970 Questions

SIG SHR 970 Questions

Hi all,

New to the forums!

Just stumbled onto a SIG SHR 970 "Match" (long, fluted barrel with a muzzle break) in .308 and have decided to purchase it. I realise there are a few SIG SHR 970 owners on these boards, so I hope this thread will be seen by them.

A couple of questions:

- Do you know where one could find spare magazines? Unfortunately this one came with only one.
    - Does anyone know which twist rate the barrel on this specific model has? I have read that the normal barrels are either 1:10 or 1:9.5.
    - Any other advice for a new SHR 970 owner?

Thanks in advance!

The SHR 970 and STR 970 ( tactical ) were manufactured for Sigarms by JP Sauer. When the company was split up and then part bought by Sauer, the US importer sold off barrels, stocks and magazines. Some companies bought up gobs of this to sell retail. I know a dealer in the US who has .308 magazines ( and others ) pretty reasonably priced ( $20.00 to $30.00). If it is possible to ship them to the UK, or have someone bring one to you, drop me a PM.

I have two SHR 970s in .308 and .280 Remington, and several spare magazines for each, and a spare barrel in .270 Win, spare stocks, etc.

All the standard barrels were 1:10 rate of twist. The .280 Remington is 1:9.5.

If you post a photo, I can tell you more about your variation.

Here is the US owner's manual which you can download.
    https://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/Cms...l/SHR970OM.pdf
    Last edited by Southern; 15-10-2015 at 18:14. Reason: owner manual

Thank you for the quick response!

I saw that there is one place (Joe's Pawn?) that offer SHR 970 magazines in the US. However, they did not respond to my e-mail and their e-bay listing says "No international shipping - don't even ask", so I am assuming that's a no-go. One extra magazine in .308 would be plenty for me at this point - just for the convenience.

I am currently waiting on the rifle from my dealer, but this photo taken off the web is pretty accurate: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sig_shr970.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	62197

My dealer measured the trigger pull and said it is roughly 1.5 kg (3.3 pounds). He also mentioned that it looked to be adjustable. Once the papers go through I'll ask him if he can safely fiddle with it to see what kind of results he could get.

The link to the user manual was very helpful - thanks!

That photo is the SHR 970 Synthetic. There might still be some walnut stocks available. I have both for my rifles. One is plain wood, but pretty. The other is darker and has a lot of figure.

Yours sounds like the STR, which had a longer barrel, came in 7.62x51 NATO and .300 Win Mag.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sigarms-str970.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	62202

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    That photo is the SHR 970 Synthetic. There might still be some walnut stocks available. I have both for my rifles. One is plain wood, but pretty. The other is darker and has a lot of figure.

Yours sounds like the STR, which had a longer barrel, came in 7.62x51 NATO and .300 Win Mag.

Name:	sigarms-str970.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	62202
    I think I have the SHR with the normal synthetic stock, but with the same action and barrel as the STR, if that makes sense?

Here are some more photos of it (unfortunately I couldn't get one of the muzzle brake, but it's integrated into the barrel):

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	184.5 KB 
ID:	62205Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender (1).jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	62206Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender (2).jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	192.3 KB 
ID:	62207Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender (3).jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	171.1 KB 
ID:	62208

The normal barrels are 22 inches. Magnum barrels were 24 inches. Ones with muzzle brakes are about 2 inches longer.
    The Sauer SSG 3000 is a lot like that.

Name:	SSG3000-Patrol24.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	62213

I believe this one is 61 cm (24 inches). That would mean a 22-inch barrel with a 2-inch muzzle break. Things are making sense for me now

Great catch!
    The STR stock is hand laid fiberglass, by McMillan, so you might be able to buy one from them, if you ever want one.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    I previously owned an SHR970, so here is what I can tell you.
    They are very hard to get parts for, so don't break it.
    It is a very nice rifle.
    The barrel/action/bolt is Iaflon coated, so is as close you will get to a rust free/waterproof rifle. It does scratch so be careful with it.
    If you want to make sure you have spares buy another rifle that is not a magnum calibre (as yours is not). The non-magnum calibres all use the same action/bolt/magazine. Likewise all the magnum calibres all use the same action/bolt magazine. The oddball seems to be the .223 that they produce that requires its own magazine/bolt/barrel.
    Spares can be obtained through http://www.lagardere.ch/ but you will need a very persistent firearms dealer. They WILL NOT deal with end users. Trying to persuade them that the UK import license was my firearms certificate was akin to trying to persuade Brian May that badgers really do need culling.
    I have yet to ever see a McMillan stock even at Legardere although they do have actions/magazines/bolts/barrels.
    I had a set trigger on mine, it was good. I have heard people say don't mess with the stock trigger. Make sure your gunsmith is a very good one. There seems to be no information on adjusting the trigger anywhere.

So my advice is: find a gunsmith that deals with Legardere and get him to import whatever bits you can afford to buy and that they have in stock OR just go out and shoot it. I liked mine, I just needed to scratch an itch for a Ruger No1.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Teyhan1,

Thank you very much for the information. I'll see if there are any dealers in my area who might be willing to deal with Legardere.

You mention that all the non-magnum magazines are the same? Would that mean that a magazine for 30.06 would work for a .308 Win?