Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tennant Farmer Authority??

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar

Tennant Farmer Authority??

I have done some door to door today, one Farmer has given authority to shoot the rabbits only, happy days.

The problem being that he is the Tennant Farmer, has he the Legal Authority to allow me to shoot Rabbits?

Cheers

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

SD Regular
    North yorkshire/sometimes down south and occasionally further north
    yes he has! as they are classed as a pest species. Just remember to get written authority from him.

You can also shoot roe deer if they are on a crop.

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Thank You, I thought he could as he's responsible for the pest control, but I didn't think he could shoot or give permission to shoot the deer!! Might be a bonus as there is a wood that holds Roe boundaried his ground.
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

I don't think he will have the authority to let you take the roe, I've been looking into this at the moment on our rented land and as far as I can work out so far we can't shoot the deer!

Quote Originally Posted by Choc View Post
    You can also shoot roe deer if they are on a crop.
    i think there may be more to it than this,there may be stalkers or shooting rights to consider.you could end up in hot water
    matt

Tennant farmer authority

I am very rusty on this and thing may be different in Scotland.
    I seem to remember that whilst the tennant has a right to protect his crops there are restrictions. Numbers of people that can be involved, in some cases control may be limited to ferreting, snaring etc: NO firearms!
    I think you can get a definitive answer from BASC. Also a lot depends if there are other shooting interests involved in the land and if the tennant agreement has anything on the subject.
    It certainly isn't clear cut and merits looking into

permission may be granted by the landowner or his agent

So it depends whether a tenant farmer is classed as the agent, I would be inclined to ask him to check his tenancy agreement for any clauses in the shooting rights.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

A tenant farmer may shoot pest species, he may also nominate one other person, this must be in writing, neither the farmer nor the nominated person has a right to shoot game, as shooting rights will most probably been retained by the landowner.

Whilst in theory a tenant could shoot Roe deer, he would need to prove damage, then inform the person with the shooting
    rights that damage was occurring, only if they took no action to rectify the problem could he shoot them, and only then
    where the damage was actually occurring.

It would be very difficult to prove damage by Roe,as even when Roe are feeding regularly on a field its hard to find actual damage[ unlike Red] seeing them in the crop would not be enough you would need to be able to prove damage.

You could end up in all sorts of trouble better to stick to the rabbits.

Boggy has it it correct.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!