Thread: Re accelerator ammunition

Re accelerator ammunition

Hi,
    I was wondering if Remington accelerator ammunition is legal in the UK.
    It comes in 30-30, .308 and 30-06 and has a sabot with a 55grain "I think" bullet, the sabot peels open after leaving the muzzle and the mini bullet goes off to the target at plus 4000 fpr.
    Germany has had them banned for years now as there is no rifling imprinted onto the bullet.
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarianbrit View Post
    the sabot peels open after leaving the muzzle and the mini bullet goes off to the target at plus 4000 fpr.
    And off of the target as well! Terrible accuracy from the ones I tried but sub-calibre is legal in the UK and specifically mentioned in the HO Guidance:

13.92 Some certificate holders may wish to manufacture their own sub-calibre ammunition to
    achieve flexibility with their rifle when pursuing different quarry or pest species. In order to
    do this, they will need to acquire expanding missiles in smaller calibre such as .220 inches
    (.224 actual) for loading into .30 calibre saboted cartridges for example. Authorities for
    expanding missiles may be granted for this use.

I have loaded 55-gr BT .224 bullets in the .30-30 Win, and a mild load in the .30-06, to get them to normal .223 Rem velocities of about 3,200 fps. Accuracy was about 2 inch groups with open sights. That was a decade ago. I need to put a scope on and try again, with a milder load. Remington offers Accelerator ammunition, which is about 3,500 fps from a 20-inch barrel.

No reason not to get good accuracy, because sabot loads from shotguns are accurate, and so are sabot cannon shells fired from tanks.

My own experience apart, if they were that good why aren't people all over them? I heard, (but don't know the truth of it), that Remington dropped them under pressure from US Gubermint because of no traceability due to lack of rifling marks on the bullet?

Safety considerations would be not to use them in rifles fitted with muzzle brakes or moderators as the sabot could lodge and cause a partial obstruction. Use them over a chronograph at your own risk!

Yes, Remington dropped the .308 and .30-06 Accelerator, because of pressure from left-wing Senators. They continued to sell the .30-30 ammo, and may still do so.

Most people did not seem to have good accuracy with these, at least not enough for long range. It seems the .30-30 did best from what people said. I think the key to loading would be to get the bullet seated totally in center alignment, because if it is off just a bit, it is going to be wobbling as soon as the sabot drops away, and each shot will settle down on a different degree of that wobble ring.