Recommended Bore Guides for T3

ChesterP

Looking for one that seals using O-ring or similar, must be UK supply. Tried the shooting shed but they don't have any in stock. Any recommendations?

Try reloading solutions in kiddlington, I got mine for my sako and annies from there
Rgds
Craig

None in stock at the minute for my medium action T3

Just in case others get the same message on David's website at Shooting Shed...found out these are made to order (7 - 10 day lead in) and he makes them himself. had a long chat with him, a really knowledgeable and useful chap to know and a pleasure to deal with. One ordered.

Looking for one that seals using O-ring or similar, must be UK supply. Tried the shooting shed but they don't have any in stock. Any recommendations?

I got mine (Stoney Point ULM) from the Sportsman Gun Centre for my Tikka M595 and M695 actions. The T3 uses the same diameter bolt raceway. This is the critical bit, so these bore guides are interchangeable in both actions.

The Tikka M65's use a different size action, so I had to get a different locking collar turned & made up for them. I don't know the position on the Tikka M55 as it was never made in a Lefthand action.

In mine there are 2 sizes of central tube . 22 to .25 (gold anodised) and .25 - 8mm (red anodised), so it's important to get the right one (if these are still made).

If they're not, then the Hoppes Universal Bore Guide from the Sportsman looks to be a close replacement. A cheap one-piece effort isn't a good idea, as all the parts need to be detachable if your cleaning patch rucks up and jams somewhere in the guide.

http://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/category/Maintenance/Bore+Guides/

Just ordered a custom made one from Shooting Shed. He's given the design a lot of thought. Made from Aluminium so wont damage the receiver or chamber, larger throat opening with well at entrance to avoid soaked patches squeezing out fluid onto the action, correct length entry nozzle for the T3 chamber and o-ring seal, plus long enough for the medium action. Job done. I already have an MTM guide but dont like using it....not a good fit on anything...much like a lot of universal type guides.

I ordered one from the shooting shed a few weeks ago. It arrived sooner than the quoted delivery. Looks beautifully finished and works well.

Alan

I have 3 bore guides from the Shooting Shed and they're fantastic. Well worth the money. I cringe at the thought of using a universal guide now!

The Shooting Shed guide arrived today. Beautifully made and supplied with a bag of 3 spare o-rings, plus lifetime warranty. For £33 it's a good price seeing as each one is hand made by David on a lathe, not CNC mass produced. Based on how well made and how precise this one is for the rifle specifics, I've ordered another for the .223.

Well, after using the Shooting Shed bore guides for a little while now, I thought it might be useful to update this thread.

There is a problem by design with them and not one that I can see a ready answer to except for me not to use them! It is this: Even when dry patching the bore, you simply can never tell when you have a clean bore because the patches always come out blackened (at least when using jags and patches) where they have taken some of the oxidised aluminium off the inside of the bore guides. The Aluminium also seems to react with cleaning chemicals which erode the aluminium. I think I'll have to chalk this one up to experience and simply try and find a supplier of PTFE or other inert bore guides. Lesson learnt! They are beautifully made though and may be ok if not using such close fitting jags or different chemicals perhaps. It doesn't detract though from the superb customer service offered by David and Christel at The Shooting Shed.

Last edited:
Have you taken this up with shooting shed? I am very very sure David would appreciate the feedback? Also what chemicals you used to cause the issues found may help other users?! I have a shooting shed bore guide for my Sako 85 6.5 x 55, have used KG cleaning products and Butches bore shine with no ill effects. I use VFG cleaning felts or pro shot patches again finding no residue on my dry patch. Would be of great help if you could fill in the blanks chesterP =D

Hi,

yes, I'm working through it with them at the moment and initial thoughts are that the patches may need to be cut down a bit as the jags used do mean a very firm fit. I cannot fault David's service, its very good, but with both 223 and 308, I am getting similar results. The black marks come out even when dry patching indicating aluminium oxide being rubbed off by firm fitting cleaning rags (cotton twill, 1.7 inch square patches). When using chemicals, I use KG1 and MPro 7 (non caustic, contains no Ammonia).

Last edited:
Well, after using the Shooting Shed bore guides for a little while now, I thought it might be useful to update this thread.

There is a problem by design with them and not one that I can see a ready answer to except for me not to use them! It is this: Even when dry patching the bore, you simply can never tell when you have a clean bore because the patches always come out blackened (at least when using jags and patches) where they have taken some of the oxidised aluminium off the inside of the bore guides. The Aluminium also seems to react with cleaning chemicals which erode the aluminium. I think I'll have to chalk this one up to experience and simply try and find a supplier of PTFE or other inert bore guides. Lesson learnt! They are beautifully made though and may be ok if not using such close fitting jags or different chemicals perhaps. It doesn't detract though from the superb customer service offered by David and Christel at The Shooting Shed.

Sorry to hear of your problems, especially having recommended the guides, but that has not been my experience at all.

I have been using the Wipe-Out products and have not noticed any reaction with the bore guide. Though I am using .270 patches in a .308, they still need a fairly positive push to get them through.

Alan

I am not trying to be smart, but have you tried running a patch through the bore guide when it is not in the rifle? That would at least prove whether the black marks are really coming from the bore guide or not.

By eliminating the barrel entirely it would then give a foundation to see whether it's the chemicals, the patches, the cleaning rod or the bore guide itself that is causing the issue....or a combination of the above.

Last edited:
Could be that Aluminium is more sensitive with some chemicals over others. Its no big deal really as once the patches start coming through cleanish bar the slight black streaks from the aluminium, I know there's been enough patches pushed through. I know of others who have the exact same issues when using aluminium bore guides. Just thought it worth sharing in case others here have experienced the same just to see if it could be as much about chemical reaction as a firm fitting jag.

I am not trying to be smart, but have you tried running a patch through the bore guide when it is not in the rifle? That would at least prove whether the black marks are really coming from the bore guide or not.

By eliminating the barrel entirely it would then give a foundation to see whether it's the chemicals, the patches, the cleaning rod or the bore guide itself that is causing the issue....or a combination of the above.

Hi Willie. Yes, I have dry patched the guides when not in the rifle and each time I get the black streaks on the cloth.

Back