Thread: 90gr GMX in a .25-06

90gr GMX in a .25-06

Just about to start reloading for my .25-06 and am considering working up a load with the 90gr hornady GMX heads as I have always struggled with lighter factory loads (due to a 20" barrel), the reason for looking at this round is due to a number of the bodies I work with, I suspect will very soon start to ask for lead free. Has anyone else played about with this and if so what loads and powders have you found to work well. Or any other recommendations for lead free options for the .25-06

Cheers

Charlie

I've only used GMX as a factory load in 25-06. Unfortunately it proved worse than releasing a herd of cats down range. Of the PPU, Sako, Remington, and 2 types of Federal I also tried it was by far the worst in accuracy terms. Perhaps developing a hand load will be better generally, and it may do very well in your gun so I wish you luck. Comparing best factory ammunition to a hand load involved reducing roughly a sub inch group to cloverleaf. GMX was grouping 3-4 inches by comparison.

If you have a go I'd be very interested in your results -because of the density of the guilding metal it may need a completely different twist.

cheers
    Last edited by Leadwasp; 17-10-2015 at 23:55.

oh that's interesting, they are quite expensive at 42 per 50 I may have a go with them and if I cant get a load worked up fairly easily then resort back to a conventional load, I was very nave when I had the barrel shortened as I wanted a fairly compact overall length with the T8 on it, and I suspect im going to regret it now

From what research ive done on the 2506 they all say it needs a miniumn 24ins to run to its full potential. You could always try a faster powder that might help.

Even in a short barrel, you are better staying with a heavier bullet and slower powder in the .25-06. Try 115-gr or 117-gr with 4831, IMR-7828, or RL-22, and you should still be close to 3,000 fps.

Hi Charlie - there are plenty of people on SD that have shorter .25-06's and they perform well for them. My rifle is a 24" barrel with a standard (i.e. not an over barrel) moderator on it and I don't really notice the extra length stalking through the woods but I sling it under shoulder rather than over if you see what I mean.

I completely agree with Southern about slower powders for the 06 case and the IMR powders from the '40's seem to do the business - IMR 4831 produces excellent results across the range. It might not produce the velocities of H or others but I have NO complaints and it seems easy to get. I have however tried v-N560 which is also making me happy. v-N160 seemed OK too. I'm about to load for a Swift and I think IMR4007 SSC can be used on the .25 too.....I might just have to have a go!

Long before I started with my own .25-06 I had been told that 117gr was considered about the optimum weight for the calibre. I've tried as low as 75gr and whilst I can get repeatably accurate groups the POI is very different to anything 100gr plus. Southern is right that the heavier end is better suited to the calibre...certainly above 100gr. With a zero of 2" high at 100 you get a very good range with that - I can't remember the figures exactly but certainly to beyond 250yds. I find that 100gr through to 120gr are pretty much interchangeable whereas sub 100gr bullets shoot low 7 o'clock for me to varying degrees.

Given your GMX question, and prompted by an increase in the questions on here about lead free, I started looking at what was about in .25 cal. I saw Barnes seem to have a good range of non 'Euro' calibres. Would TSX be deer legal here? - I know they're made for a different purpose but..............??
    Last edited by Leadwasp; 22-10-2015 at 12:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlieh View Post
    Just about to start reloading for my .25-06 and am considering working up a load with the 90gr hornady GMX heads as I have always struggled with lighter factory loads (due to a 20" barrel), the reason for looking at this round is due to a number of the bodies I work with, I suspect will very soon start to ask for lead free. Has anyone else played about with this and if so what loads and powders have you found to work well. Or any other recommendations for lead free options for the .25-06

Cheers

Charlie
    A friend worked up a load for me using 100g TTSX for a lead free-only cull earlier in the year. In general they killed quickly, we chose to push them pretty fast as mono metal projectiles generally need fair velocity to ensure reliable expansion. As a result of the high speed they were quite damaging to meat despite the barnes general reputation for being kind on carcasses. This was probably due to most shot being sub 100 yards.

They killed well and were accurate, however I use lead when possible due to these factors.
    Last edited by JH83; 25-10-2015 at 17:57.