Bunny basher

depends on how many you want to shoot and where. The .22 is a better tool for shooting a quantity due to it being near silent. The .17 comes into its own if ricochets are a concern or if you cant get very close. Also more fun in my book. The crack of the shot often empties the next few fields though

i have .22 lr, which doesnt get used much. if i had a .17 it would get used less. keeper mates have great fun in caged pickup with the 17's shooting hundres per night but they get left for charlie. my thougts are if your going to make a bang, make a proper bang. go silent if i were you! youre quite welcome to try my .22 if you want.

Have to agree with the bear on this -

I've a Sako Finfire in .22 and she is a good-a gun as you'll get in that cal - using Eley Subs any rabbit out to 110-120 yards doesn't get to walk away. Past the 120yard mark you're holding over 2-3" out to 150, then if you can forget shooting past that.

I've just put in for a Vari on a .17HMR for the specific purpose of drilling rabbits at 120yards + (and l'm a lazy git and would like to sit in a vantage point and have the luxury of punching them from a long distance)

I say if you can, have a .22 but stick to sub bullets, have both - As for a .17 it has to be either a Anschutz or a Savage - accurate as hell.

I have both as well and given the choice I would use the .17. The .22 is fun (as its a semi) and accurate but the explosive performance of the bullet and its flatter trajectory always win for me.

Kevin I would advise the humble 22 I regularly shoot out to 150 it does take practice but it's worth it,I have had two hmrs and sold them both second being bought as I thought there was a gap between 22and the good old triple truth is there wasn't or the 17 just did not fill it.
If you were looking at a long range problem both the duece or the good old hornet will fit the bill better less affected by wind and if you reload can work out a lot cheaper than hmr factory foder.

.22lr if you gonna eat them....and of course it gives you more stalking practice to get within that golden 50-70 yard distance and pop one in the head.
.17 if your a crap stalker!........or if you want to bop the odd wiley crow at a hundred yards!

I've just removed my authority to buy a .17 and changed it for a .243 (for fox and crow work, and as a client rifle, 'cos it'll be right handed bolt).

22mag is another option, best of both worlds. I waited till I could get a krico in this calibre over here. Love the gun and love the round.

I go with most of the others, best all rounder, 22. More fun and a few more applications 17HMR.
If you want the meat stick to the 22, eradication, it has to be the 17.

The hornet if you reload can be better option, but very expensive if you don't. Good for both rabbits and fox in those areas where rimfire is not allowed for fox - like here in Essex !!

I have prefered the .17hmr over the .22LR (and sold the latter). I do a lot of bunny bashing using an NV add-on and walk about using sticks for a couple or three hours of a night. I often shoot 20 to 30 rabbits and as long as you are careful in your own movements on those nice dark nights the super sonic crack is not much of an issue! Indeed, the sound of the round often causes those hiding to pop their heads up for an often fatal look at "what was that ?". The .17hmr trajectory really comes into it's own at night then and really it is good fun.....if a little lazy !!!

Similarly, I have not found the super sonic crack that much more disruptive than the .22LR. While the .22LR is near silent the sound of the bullet hitting home can scare those near by, and as the sound is near by is can cause scattering. Indeed, on a lots of farms where there are gas-gun bird scarers and the like the wild life tends to be used to bangs and crashes....It can be your own field craft that makes more of a difference.

The real downside to .17hmr over .22LR is the cost per shot !!!

Just my take....but as is always said....each to their own.

Cheers + ATVB

Philip

A good bit of practice was had friday afternoon, I was on the Geovids, Mike was on the 22-250, we were splashing the cotton bobbins @ 400 +, still not seeing more than a half dozen dog food sized yet.

Back