Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can someone please help me understand this choke?

Can someone please help me understand this choke?

I was cleaning my Remington Versa Max today and removed the choke for cleaning, so I thought I have a look at the other chokes the gun came with as I did not remember what I had. I came across the choke in the picture, and I am now perplexed. The first thing I was told when I started using steel shot was that I should not use anything tighter than 1/2 choke. This choke though reads (as per picture) 'Remington Probore Full steel or lead'. If I take this literally, it means this is a full choke that can be used for steel too, but surely this cannot be the case. What am I missing/misinterpreting here? Many thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2584.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	224.5 KB 
ID:	62311

Rem chokes , other than extra full, and super full turkey, are steel shot safe. Fixed chokes are the modified max for steel , as ive always used. I have a old magnum wingmaster that is a fixed modified, and has had more steel than I care to think about. Ive found that the full choke really doesnt give good patterns with steel.

Quote Originally Posted by hammer 1 View Post
    Rem chokes , other than extra full, and super full turkey, are steel shot safe. Fixed chokes are the modified max for steel , as ive always used. I have a old magnum wingmaster that is a fixed modified, and has had more steel than I care to think about. Ive found that the full choke really doesnt give good patterns with steel.

Thanks for that. I am still confused though. Is the choke pictured an actual 'fixed' as we use the term for everything else, or is it some sort of euphemism Remington use? Thanks again!

It is not a fixed choke, a fixed choke cannot be removed, and is actually the barrel with constriction.

I apologize. I meant to write full. Replace fixed with full in my question please.
    Quid enim proderit Homini si lucretur Mundum totum et detrimentum faciat Animae suae?

Yes, if it says full, that is what what remington has as a full constriction. Ive never really been satisfied with the steel patterns out of the rem choke full. My 1187 would throw alot of fliers. When I switched back to modified (1/2) choke , the patterns settled right down. My chosen steel load is kent 3", no.3s. I run it in my old wingmaster with no issues. I also have a remington sp10, that is a howitzer, it used to be my long range geese gun. I hope this was a help.
    Last edited by hammer 1; 18-10-2015 at 01:20.

Yes, that was very helpful. Thanks. I will have a look at the other chokes I have and post what they are here, so you can hopefully decipher them.for me, if that's OK. Thanks again.
    Quid enim proderit Homini si lucretur Mundum totum et detrimentum faciat Animae suae?

Now this is going to be a big drop in the ocean I could be right but I could be wrong

but I'm sure I heard it somewhere

i think you half it for normal lead shot so your full steel choke is really a half restriction with lead shot I think that's where they say don't use a tighter choke than half it could be that UK / American wording thing as well

I'm pretty sure I'm on the right track but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will be along

So, I had a look at the other two chokes. One reads 'probore mod' and the other reads 'probore improved mod'. Any idea how these translate on terms I can understand, like 1/2, 3/4 etc? Many thanks again!

I think this might help - Understanding Shotgun Chokes, A brief explanation by Briley

The table range is from Cylinder - (no choke) to full choke - no matter what nice names are used.
    On this basis modified is 'half choke' as we would understand it and improved modified somewhere about 3/4 choke. In actual fact, its the degree of constriction which defines a choke and not the name, since person A's 'improved modified' could differ, although not hugely, from person B's 'improved modified'. Beretta chokes are helpful,
    Cylinder, quarter, half, three quarters and full. If you want to sell more chokes however the full range is as quoted on the Briley and runs to 9 different ones.

Try this;
    One point equates to a constriction of one thousandth of an inch. Below is what one would expect in a 12-bore gun.

• True Cylinder 0-1 points
    • Improved cylinder 3-6
    • Quarter (American Improved) 8-12
    • Half (American Modified) 17-23
    • Three-quarters (Improved Modified) 25-30
    • Full 35-40
    • Super full 40+

Cheers