Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rifles/guns in cases

Rifles/guns in cases

Stating the obvious, but a friend was stopped by the Police in his vehicle on Thursday evening this week. 10.30 pm. His rifle (with infra red) was in a sleeve that could not be zipped up. The WPC was very professional, but NO GUN IN SLEEVE, it will go on your record. Be mindful. Is there a manufacturer making a sleeve that can handle all this gear we put on our rifles? PS... The Police out searching for burglars and stopping suspicious vehicles at strange times of the night - it'll never catch on!

Go straight for a decent drag bag - AIM, Galati etc... Stacks of room for a scoped rifle, so NV should be a doddle.
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

I'm not sure what you're getting at?
    Nothing in law says you have to have your gun/rifle in a slip in the car. I'd be writing to BASC and the chief constable asking what exactly was going on my "record"
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

I believe this may be a case of over zealous policing with a lack of understanding of the law.

Just thinking?

As a car is classed as a public place surely a rifle has to be fully covered as it would need to be on a high street?
    If you were observed of course?

A rifle does not need to be covered if you are walking down the high street, the law allows you to sling your rifle over your shoulder and walk down the high street to the gunsmiths with it, its not a good idea to do so but it is legal.

ian.
    Last edited by Whitebeard; 18-10-2015 at 18:02.

Quote Originally Posted by old man View Post
    Just thinking?

As a car is classed as a public place surely a rifle has to be fully covered as it would need to be on a high street?
    If you were observed of course?
    Not so

It is lawful/legal to carry your rifle or shotgun, and the law makes no reference to covering it. You only commit an offence if you have a firearm with you "without lawful authority or reasonable excuse"
    The person in the OP has both. His FAC is authority and travelling to/from/between his shooting ground is his excuse.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    Blog

I think a gun has to be covered when in a public space with out justification and your car is defined as a public space but the covering does not need to be a slip a coat or blanket or poly bag count that's my understanding not saying anyone should follow this but if any one can quote the law I'd like to be proved wrong

Quote Originally Posted by shakey jake View Post
    I think a gun has to be covered when in a public space with out justification and your car is defined as a public space but the covering does not need to be a slip a coat or blanket or poly bag count that's my understanding not saying anyone should follow this but if any one can quote the law I'd like to be proved wrong
    This is the only reference that I can find/recall seeing. It makes no mention of covering up your gun. Think about it, if you walk down a public footpath which is on your stalking ground you surely don't put the rifle in a slip?
    What about at the clay ground, which is a public place as anybody can turn up on site?

Section 19 Firearms Act 1968

Date Updated: January 2012

Title: Firearms

Offence: A person commits an offence if, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the proof whereof lies on him) he has with him in a public place

a loaded shot gun,
    an air weapon (whether loaded or not),
    any other firearm (whether loaded or not) together with ammunition suitable for use in that firearm, or
    an imitation firearm.
    Blog

Consider also those who carry out pest control in parks, cemeteries, golf courses, etc.

The police force in the OP need to be challenged as to what they're suggesting will be going "on record" and what that "record" is.
    Come renewal time will this guy be getting grief for a "crime" he never committed?

As FAC holders we need to stand up when the police, press, antis or whoever else make our lawful activities seem somehow clandestine and taboo.
    Blog