Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resizing loaded ammo

Resizing loaded ammo

I seem to recall a thread on this but can't find it
    what is the collective wisdom on safety of f/l resizing load ammo. 7mm Rem mag?
    Sh1kar

Dont

pull the bullet
    empty the powder
    pull the decapping pin and leave primer in situ (if you want to reuse them)
    if you dont want to reuse them just size as normal

I have pushed hundreds of live primers out and never had one go off in a press
    with a lee loader i have probably had two or three go off but the noise and explosion is nothing and the priming rod takes the brunt of the noise out too
    loud pop like a kids cap gun

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    pull the bullet
    empty the powder
    pull the decapping pin and leave primer in situ (if you want to reuse them)
    I have Lee dies, and the depriming pin is also the neck expander. I just backed it out enough that the depriming pin didn't touch the primer. Then did as above. Worked fine.

Like Bewsher ,I have pushed out many primers never had one go off, there is always a first time of course.

Quote Originally Posted by sh1kar View Post
    I seem to recall a thread on this but can't find it
    what is the collective wisdom on safety of f/l resizing load(?) ammo. 7mm Rem mag?
    Sh1kar
    Well ... no matter what FLR dies are used it isn't possible to resize loaded ammo. I do it, but more kit is needed.

If you're asking about cases which have pulled & emptied (as assumed in Post #2) .... then everyone including me thinks you that you meant to say EMPTY primed cases, rather than live ammunition.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Thank you all
    sh1kar

I don`t believe that you can FL size loaded ammo.
    I know that you can use a Redding body die and bump the shoulders back on reloaded ammo but not advisable according to their instructions.

If you pull the bullet to change the powder do you need to size again?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaothead View Post
    If you pull the bullet to change the powder do you need to size again?
    Perhaps you should, to replace neck tension(?) I didn't, and the results still grouped better than I have any right to expect.

SD Regular
    HuYou can, very much so, run straight walled lead bullet loaded cartridges through a re-sizing die. I've done and others have done it. It is the standard "quick fix" to pistol ammo that's been so over (roll) crimped that it won't chamber.

Can you re-size bottlenecked jacketed bullet loaded rifle cartridges? Well usual result is you collapse the case at the shoilder. What's the reason?

Fact is straight wall pistol cartridges aren't actually straight (parrallel sided) walled but slightly tapered. This is enough to allow the case mouth to enter without meeting downards resistance...and in any case being straight walled there's no shoulder to collapse. And no empty WIDER area of the die to which can expand outwards as it collapses.

As nearly all bottleneck cases that collapse at the shouldet also expand the displaced case wall, at some place or other, outwards. In most cases.

Whereas on a bottleneck rifle case the case neck IS truly parrallel. So there will be enough downwards resistance to collapse the case.

As an interesting aside .44-40 was notorious for collapsing cases if the novice re-loader tried to seat and crimp his bullet in the one operation. As he would do as perfectly "good practice" in most all other calibres he loaded. So with .44-40 the experienced loader in fact seated his bullets in one operation, put the rounds aside then re-set his dies to then apply the crimp onto the now assembled but uncrimped bulleted cartridge.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 20-10-2015 at 21:48.