Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best UTV, Gator, Rhino, Polaris...?

Best UTV, Gator, Rhino, Polaris...?

Dreaming of a getting a UTV/ side by side, however you want to call them.
    Gator being top of my list but what are peoples experiences of any of these?

Currently trying to justify to myself that I need one.
    I would be using it for estate/woodland management duties as well as lamping and stalking.
    Itvwould need to be road legal so I can deliver logs and get to and fro from estates.
    What are the road restrictions on such vehicles? I assume limited road miles?
    Can I pull a trailer with it on a highway?

I have a Quadzilla Tracker 800. Totally road legal, can do as many miles on the road as you want but you do have to tax it each year. It has a drop down screen which is perfect for shooting out of the front. It will do about 55 mph on the road so certainly not slow. Has selectable 2wd/4wd and electric diff lock. Back tips, has winch on front and tow bar on back all as standard
    Only criticism is that it is quite noisy (800cc V twin engine which thumps a bit!) and gear box is a little agricultural
    It was just over £8K including VAT

Hi mate, was in a similar quandary a couple of years ago, but bought a 2nd hand kubota. Reckoned I could move it on If I didn't like it. Can't get near the bloody thing! Part of our farm business is equestrian based and the girls use it all the time for feeding and checking cuddles. It gets little maintenance, less sympathy but it still goes. It's hydrostatic so when you take foot of throttle it stops, it's not too fast and well built and solid. Ideal for other drivers. Have bought myself a second one. However, bits are ludicrously expensive an original door is £1500 a pattern part £800. Our original kubota is now fully air conditioned until the drivers treat it with more respect will remain so over the winter. If it's for own use pick one you like, nothing much wrong with any of them, if money is an issue pick an old 4x4 Suzuki jeep or similar and stick it on an agricultural license. No Mot required but Limits you to 6 miles on the public roads per week, but could tow a trailer and use red diesel if you get an oil burner.

hope this helps
    Briar

Quote Originally Posted by Briar View Post
    Hi mate, was in a similar quandary a couple of years ago, but bought a 2nd hand kubota. Reckoned I could move it on If I didn't like it. Can't get near the bloody thing! Part of our farm business is equestrian based and the girls use it all the time for feeding and checking cuddles. It gets little maintenance, less sympathy but it still goes. It's hydrostatic so when you take foot of throttle it stops, it's not too fast and well built and solid. Ideal for other drivers. Have bought myself a second one. However, bits are ludicrously expensive an original door is £1500 a pattern part £800. Our original kubota is now fully air conditioned until the drivers treat it with more respect will remain so over the winter. If it's for own use pick one you like, nothing much wrong with any of them, if money is an issue pick an old 4x4 Suzuki jeep or similar and stick it on an agricultural license. No Mot required but Limits you to 6 miles on the public roads per week, but could tow a trailer and use red diesel if you get an oil burner.

hope this helps
    Briar
    You have the same name as my dog!
    My Mate had a Kubota on his shoot it was great but just as you said parts are very pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by Essex stalker View Post
    I have a Quadzilla Tracker 800. Totally road legal, can do as many miles on the road as you want but you do have to tax it each year. It has a drop down screen which is perfect for shooting out of the front. It will do about 55 mph on the road so certainly not slow. Has selectable 2wd/4wd and electric diff lock. Back tips, has winch on front and tow bar on back all as standard
    Only criticism is that it is quite noisy (800cc V twin engine which thumps a bit!) and gear box is a little agricultural
    It was just over £8K including VAT
    Thanks mate I will check these out.

I have a Gator 855, full glass inc doors, heater (too hot), front winch, tipper rear, it can carry 500kg and tow 650kg, road legal and can get up to 35mph, the only down side is the engine noise, fantastic machine, the newer model has power steering as standard. The local game keeper uses it all the time, don't think you can go wrong with a Gator but not cheap. John Deer deals have some good 2nd hand models available, if your run hours are low should not be a problem.

Trucraft pm me your location my friend died he had a polaris ranger fitted cab, winch and road legal and a trailer as well, don't really want to put out his location as it parked at his home and his wife just wants me to sell it for her

Sorry I can't help as no experiencee. However, if Honda make one don't buy other than.

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by jb7x57 View Post
    Trucraft pm me your location my friend died he had a polaris ranger fitted cab, winch and road legal and a trailer as well, don't really want to put out his location as it parked at his home and his wife just wants me to sell it for her
    Hi,
    sorry to hear your mate passed on.
    I am not in a position to buy just yet but have sent you PM.
    Thanks.

[QUOTE=trucraft;1030230]You have the same name as my dog!
    Briar was the name of my previous spaniel.
    Good luck with your search.