Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pheasant feeder positioning

Pheasant feeder positioning

One for the game keepers out there......

where should the feeders be positioned,in the centre of the shoot or on the boundaries? ie,do the feeders stop birds straying from an area or do they draw birds to a certain area?

We have a difference of opinion and none of us involved are experts by any stretch of the imagination.....

any thoughts/advice appreciated.

thanks

Martin

Where they are easy to get to top up.

You feed the birds where you want them. Feeding on the boundaries unless you have a large estate along side only draws the birds away from where you want them

it varys from shoot to shoot where you put your hoppers depending on how the ground is but in a nut shell you put the hoppers where you want the pheasants to be when you want them to be there so if your lucky enough to have all your drives in the centre of a large peice of ground why would you want to put hoppers anywhere near the boundry and possibly loose next door on the other hand you may just be running a small farm shoot where as your feeding hedgrows that are your boundry the only thing i would say to avoid is trying to pull in your neighbours birds sadly its common practice and somthing personaly i take a very dim view of

Quote Originally Posted by sir-lamp-alot View Post
    it varys from shoot to shoot where you put your hoppers depending on how the ground is but in a nut shell you put the hoppers where you want the pheasants to be when you want them to be there so if your lucky enough to have all your drives in the centre of a large peice of ground why would you want to put hoppers anywhere near the boundry and possibly loose next door on the other hand you may just be running a small farm shoot where as your feeding hedgrows that are your boundry the only thing i would say to avoid is trying to pull in your neighbours birds sadly its common practice and somthing personaly i take a very dim view of

We dont have any neighbouring shoot as such but,the arguments are "we need feeders on the boundary to stop the birds leaving" and "i saw some birds half way up the farm lane,get some feeders up there".......arent we encouraging the birds to roam if we put a feeder a bit further out each time???

You feed the drives, nothing else. Get the birds spending their daylight hours where you want them on shoot day. Feed them anywhere else and you risk having nothing to shoot at.

Feeders should be inside the covers, not outside them. Birds much prefer a bit of cover whilst feeding rather than being out in the open. Traditional tray or spiral feeders are OK, but in each drive have a couple of bale feeders or a straw ride that you feed, they like a good scrummage about for their food.
    So much to learn and so little time left

Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    You feed the drives, nothing else. Get the birds spending their daylight hours where you want them on shoot day. Feed them anywhere else and you risk having nothing to shoot at.

Feeders should be inside the covers, not outside them. Birds much prefer a bit of cover whilst feeding rather than being out in the open. Traditional tray or spiral feeders are OK, but in each drive have a couple of bale feeders or a straw ride that you feed, they like a good scrummage about for their food.
    When you say bale feeder,you mean a round bale rolled out and feeder scattered on top??

Feed the birds where your wanting them in the drives, feeding boundaries will just attract more birds that way. I personally would get some spice into the feeders that's in your drives, dog the birds in away from the edge of your shoot.
    Are your birds fed daily by them whistling in?

Stacey

I use 5 small bales and an 8*4 sheet of corrugated tin. Stack two bales high on either side, span the gap with the tin sheet and put the 5th bale on top of the tin to hold it down. Break a few leaves off another bale and scatter the straw under the tin sheet. Throw half a bag of straw on the scattered straw and some on top of the top bale.

You will come back in a few days to find pheasants on top and underneath all having a good rummage about for food.
    So much to learn and so little time left

Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    I use 5 small bales and an 8*4 sheet of corrugated tin. Stack two bales high on either side, span the gap with the tin sheet and put the 5th bale on top of the tin to hold it down. Break a few leaves off another bale and scatter the straw under the tin sheet. Throw half a bag of straw on the scattered straw and some on top of the top bale.

You will come back in a few days to find pheasants on top and underneath all having a good rummage about for food.

Ideal,thanks