Primos 2-point gun-rest - any good?

pazmino

I'm thinking of getting one of these, but reviews online seem pretty mixed, with quite a few people saying they're a bit flimsy. I'd be interested to hear the views of anyone who's used them, or anything similar. At the moment I use quad sticks - I really like the stability, but turning them with the rifle resting on them is not a smooth operation, to say the least. That's why I like the idea of this rest, which seems to offer stability whilst also being able to turn and tilt smoothly. Any views/ thoughts on it gratefully received. Thanks.

I've got the tripod, well I did till it was stolen on Sunday, and find it great but easily damaged. I must have put something heavy on it in the van and bent one leg just enough for it not to drop under its own weight. Just ordered a replacement.

No doubt the quad stick are more stable. What accuracy do you need? Do want to chest shoot a deer at 200 yards in a few seconds on uneven ground, down hill? Do you want a fast follow up shot as the deer legs it? Then my money is with the primos sticks and the 2 point makes it stable enough for me to do that most days of the week.

I'm thinking of getting one of these, but reviews online seem pretty mixed, with quite a few people saying they're a bit flimsy. I'd be interested to hear the views of anyone who's used them, or anything similar. At the moment I use quad sticks - I really like the stability, but turning them with the rifle resting on them is not a smooth operation, to say the least. That's why I like the idea of this rest, which seems to offer stability whilst also being able to turn and tilt smoothly. Any views/ thoughts on it gratefully received. Thanks.

I use quad sticks all the time, practice is the key! For me the usage of a stable platform far out weighs any time saved in turning around.

Personally I have took to them very well and not found a situation where I was hindered by them, mine being made from the garden cane material then I could just close them up like a set of single pair just resting on the front of the stock.

I zero off mine as that is what suites me, I doubt many people zero off a single pair...

Tim.243

I've got the tripod, well I did till it was stolen on Sunday, and find it great but easily damaged. I must have put something heavy on it in the van and bent one leg just enough for it not to drop under its own weight. Just ordered a replacement.

I have the MkII tripod version of this and it is very versatile but I agree, the outer leg tubes are key to smooth extending under its own weight, (an internal spring or gas extending system would be an improvement). Just the smallest dent in an outer tub will adversely impact the smooth extending.

I have also considered adding some small extra weights to the legs to make it extend quicker.

Tim 243, I too love my quad sticks, but I'm starting to find that I'm losing shooting opportunities (particularly when out foxing) if I have to turn around quickly. I often set the rifle up on the sticks in long grass at the edge of the field – if something emerges to one side I find lifting the sticks plus rifle clear of the grass and setting up again makes quite a disturbance. That's why I like the idea of having something of the stability of the quad sticks, even if not quite so good in that respect, while being able to silently swivel 180 degrees.

Well pazmino, they will be perfect for your application. I swing all the time and get multi shots off on animals that are on driven hunts.

I have the MkII tripod version of this and it is very versatile but I agree, the outer leg tubes are key to smooth extending under its own weight, (an internal spring or gas extending system would be an improvement). Just the smallest dent in an outer tub will adversely impact the smooth extending.

I have also considered adding some small extra weights to the legs to make it extend quicker.

My technique is to lower the feet to the floor then press the trigger and lift up to the right height. This way it doesn't make any noise with the legs hitting the ground. At the right height I move them out, press the trigger again to level and then in one motion bring my rifle off my sling onto the sticks and ready to fire.

Tim 243, I too love my quad sticks, but I'm starting to find that I'm losing shooting opportunities (particularly when out foxing) if I have to turn around quickly. I often set the rifle up on the sticks in long grass at the edge of the field – if something emerges to one side I find lifting the sticks plus rifle clear of the grass and setting up again makes quite a disturbance. That's why I like the idea of having something of the stability of the quad sticks, even if not quite so good in that respect, while being able to silently swivel 180 degrees.

We will have to have a meet up and have a shoot off lol....Hope you find something to fit the bill

Tim.243

Last edited:
I really like using mine, it is most suited to more static stalking than woodland use where a fairly quick shot is needed. I do like to sit at a ride corner and wait it is perfect for that.

I have a question for those who use bipods a lot: Have any of you tried moving the bipod to the rear of the fore end, just ahead of the magazine well, where it will no deflect the end of the stock? I have an HK-91, which uses a snap-on folding tripod under the front sight, with its triangular forend. With the slim tropical stock, I can snap on a heavy M-21 LMG bipod to the receiver, just ahead of the magazine.

If you have time to get prone with a bipod, or set up sticks, you have more than enough time to get to kneeling, which is a very overlooked and useful position on almost any type of ground or slope, which permits tracking moving game, left and right, so it it good for a follow up shot.

Ive had one for a while , but modified it by lenghtening the 2 middle bars approx six inches one way so the gun sits on the top
and is balanced , it will just sit there and then i call fox's in and the gun is ready in place for a shot if that makes sense.
But i find its a good bit of kit .

Thanks Gunner223, that's useful. Not too flimsy then, which is what some reviewers online seem to say? And how easy was it to lengthen the two middle bars?

Back