Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Warwickshire/West Mercia firearms

Warwickshire/West Mercia firearms

Just a quick heads up.
    My coterminous certificates run out next week, I chased them last week and nothing.
    I spoke to a very helpful chap earlier who asked me if I knew about there backlog ?
    Well I had, but nearly fell over when he told me they're now running TWENTY weeks behind.
    He said the best course was a temp permit, but that only gives authority to possess.
    I need my guns for my job, and also im due stalking next month.
    Also im running low on ammo, so my next job is emailing their office and probably BASC too.

Quote Originally Posted by nick100 View Post
    Just a quick heads up.
    My coterminous certificates run out next week, I chased them last week and nothing.
    I spoke to a very helpful chap earlier who asked me if I knew about there backlog ?
    Well I had, but nearly fell over when he told me they're now running TWENTY weeks behind.
    He said the best course was a temp permit, but that only gives authority to possess.
    I need my guns for my job, and also im due stalking next month.
    Also im running low on ammo, so my next job is emailing their office and probably BASC too.
    Well I'm very glad I read this when I did!
    I was literally just about to take my certificate to the post office to send off for a few adjustments. I figured I'd have it back by the time I need to purchase any ammo, but if they're running 20 weeks behind I think I'll go and buy the ammunition first!!
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

It would seem that the BASC capitulation on fee increases was a worthless surrender when there has been no improvement in service levels from firearms departments.

Quote Originally Posted by Greymaster View Post
    It would seem that the BASC capitulation on fee increases was a worthless surrender when there has been no improvement in service levels from firearms departments.
    In fairness my initial grant from West Mercia took (I think, from memory) about 8 weeks from posting the form to having the certificate, and that spanned the Christmas period. So they can't be all bad...
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

Does it make any difference what you are asking for? Earlier in the year I had a variation turned around in around a week - not gloating you understand!

They managed to send me a nice letter saying they are very behind so could I send my renewal in early. I did this, but wonder how that would help? Surely if they already have a back log, how the hell is having a further few 1000 renewals land in the post box make it easier to do them on time?
    I know they opened it the very next day because they sent it back because "I failed to give the full address of one of my referees. I would have thought they could have asked for that when they phoned them up to check I am good guy! Hey that would be a bit simple, so they sent it back.
    It does seem a backwards move in Warwickshire joining WM as previously I always got a very fast and efficient service. I hope mine come back soon as I have alot of stalking booked up.

Hmm, was considering a variation, I might hold off. In fairness, WM used to be fairly good, as least before they got lumped in with Warks. Seems silly to make the area covering what is apparently the highest density of firearms in the country even larger.

Quick update, just had a very polite email back from them, apologising for the delay, and should all be sorted quickly.
    Fingers crossed.

Looking down there website they list two FEO's for the whole of Warwickshire !
    I realise most SGC renewal interviews are now done over the phone, but how on earth are they meant to be able to get around any non-straight forward cases in reasonable time ?
    Apparently as force they now cover over 48000 certificate holders.

Quote Originally Posted by Redleicester View Post
    Hmm, was considering a variation, I might hold off. In fairness, WM used to be fairly good, as least before they got lumped in with Warks. Seems silly to make the area covering what is apparently the highest density of firearms in the country even larger.
    I too had great service from Warwickshire in the past, variations dropped in to them and hand delivered by FEO within the week. Same old cost cutting to blame I suppose.

I know that WM can be a bit slow if left to their own devices but I always find them incredibly helpful when I speak to them directly - a few weeks ago I dropped off my certificate at Malvern nick and they did a variation for me while I waited in the car park. Took about 15 minutes - can't argue with service like that and they usually make a effort to prioritise certificates for people dependent on their firearms for work.