Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying to Sweden from England via the Netherlands or Germany

Flying to Sweden from England via the Netherlands or Germany

Hi all

For the past few years, I have flown to Sweden (several times a year) with a hunting firearm. Each year I apply for and receive a permit from the Swedish Police to temporarily import a firearm and ammunition. I have an EU Firearms Passport.

It used to be really convenient to take the direct flight out of Birmingham to Landvetter, Göteborg. This year, the flight was moved to Heathrow. I was told when I checked in a week or so ago that at the end of October, the flight will be moved to Stansted which is probably a four hour drive with the kids barring delays.

I could fly KLM from BHX and transit Amsterdam. I need to know if I need an additional permit from the Dutch authorities. I spoke to the airline who, to be honest, had no idea. The guy after lots of checking eventually said I did, but he wasn't sure. KLM's own website says that EU passport and firearms passport holders do not need to apply for a "Consent for weapons and ammunition", but I have been in an airport before when no-one had a clue and it isn't fun.

So, I could do with hearing from anyone who has travelled within the EU and transited the Nederlands. If this isn't favourable, then I could fly via Germany and the same question stands. I believe that the EU firearms pass is all that is required to transit Germany, but I would rather hear from someone who has actually tested the theory.

Fingers crossed!

regards

Ian

Can't give definitive advice as I bottled out last year. Was travelling to Norway for the Moose season and spoke to KLM at length. It all seemed possible (albeit expensive) but the killer was that they couldn't guarantee that the pilot would allow the rifle & ammunition onto the plane. I was routing from Birmingham so getting to Schipol and being told no would have finished the trip.
    I decided it was too risky, didn't file the application documents and borrowed a mates rifle in country.
    When I arrived at Schipol and checked in they proudly announced (loud enough for all in the room) that they had been waiting for me to arrive and that the Captain was happy for me to load the firearm. It took me some time to convince them that I didn't have the firearm (strangely they asked me the check).
    It really is too risky to travel in Europe with a firearm now and my advice would be to make local arrangments.
    Bit of a bugger as i'd bought myself a nice Sako 375HH to christen. My mate lent me his Blaser in 9.3x62mm - lovely rifle and certainly managed the job. We had 2 nice moose in 2 days of hunting.
    Incidentally I'm in Norway at the moment, having routed through Schipol. They lost my case - not for the first time at Schipol. Image the grief if this had been a firearm.

If you could get a local flight to Helsinki and transfer there I know the Finns and Finnair are reliable and pretty laid back about firearms. Lats time I went they just tipped it off the carousel!

Might be worth a look.
    So much to learn and so little time left

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitter View Post
    Hi all

For the past few years, I have flown to Sweden (several times a year) with a hunting firearm. Each year I apply for and receive a permit from the Swedish Police to temporarily import a firearm and ammunition. I have an EU Firearms Passport.

It used to be really convenient to take the direct flight out of Birmingham to Landvetter, Göteborg. This year, the flight was moved to Heathrow. I was told when I checked in a week or so ago that at the end of October, the flight will be moved to Stansted which is probably a four hour drive with the kids barring delays.

I could fly KLM from BHX and transit Amsterdam. I need to know if I need an additional permit from the Dutch authorities. I spoke to the airline who, to be honest, had no idea. The guy after lots of checking eventually said I did, but he wasn't sure. KLM's own website says that EU passport and firearms passport holders do not need to apply for a "Consent for weapons and ammunition", but I have been in an airport before when no-one had a clue and it isn't fun.

So, I could do with hearing from anyone who has travelled within the EU and transited the Nederlands. If this isn't favourable, then I could fly via Germany and the same question stands. I believe that the EU firearms pass is all that is required to transit Germany, but I would rather hear from someone who has actually tested the theory.

Fingers crossed!

regards

Ian
    Ian,

It's all here on KLM website.

Weapons permits and licences - KLM.com

Stan

Thanks for the replies.

Stecad: I would advise you to definitely take your rifle with you next time. I travel to Sweden three or four times a year with no problems on a direct flight. There is something special about using your own gear. The Scandis are pretty efficient once you get there. When I landed last week, I had my rifle case in my hand in the time it took for my partner to nip to the ladies.

NigelM: Thanks, but every time I get to Finland, I just end up with a hangover.

Stan: Yes! That's the link I found. I even referred the KLM rep to that page, but he still insisted that I needed documentation from the Dutch. I then emailed the Dutch customs asking them to confirm that I would be subject to the exemption found at the bottom of the page..... and they just emailed me a permit application form. Aggghhhh! As I said, I have been in an airport before correctly documented, but because the airport staff had no idea what to do, I was still in a world of pain. Being right doesn't seem to help.

I called Lufthansa today as they have flights from BHX to Göteborg which go via Frankfurt. They immediately confirmed that I would not need additional documentation for the connection, so I am going to book with them.

Thanks again.

regards

Ian

Or fly Norwegian, Gatwick- Göteborg. Easy peasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagare View Post
    Hej, Jägare!

Hmmm, yes. That might be a better idea than Stansted. It's about the same distance, but less chance of getting fubar-ed by the traffic. I'll check it out.

mvh

Ian

Digging this out out from the past for anyone else seaching in the future... but just to confirm I had clarified with KLM for transit through Schiphol that nothing else was required - only to think yesterday (9 days before departure) I should just make sure 100% about the exemption on the KLM page... customs confirmed an EFP is not sufficient and you need the additional clearance paperwork!!! ARRGH! says to allow 3-8 weeks.... I have 8 days. This is just to transit the airport and not leave "airside"

Not easy to borrow a shotgun when you are 6ft 5 and need 15.875" LOP and almost 3" of drop at heel.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_E View Post
    Digging this out out from the past for anyone else seaching in the future... but just to confirm I had clarified with KLM for transit through Schiphol that nothing else was required - only to think yesterday (9 days before departure) I should just make sure 100% about the exemption on the KLM page... customs confirmed an EFP is not sufficient and you need the additional clearance paperwork!!! ARRGH! says to allow 3-8 weeks.... I have 8 days. This is just to transit the airport and not leave "airside"

Not easy to borrow a shotgun when you are 6ft 5 and need 15.875" LOP and almost 3" of drop at heel.

Mike
    Mike,

You need two, one for each transit. So long as Netherlands Customs see you have an EFP their internal “pass” comes by email fairly quickly. They just want to record sporting firearms transiting through and so can match your flight up.

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by Jagare View Post
    Norwegian and Finn air both great with firearms. For what its worth I would fly direct and if I had to have 2 flights would always use the same airline for both flights.
    Tusker