The perfect hunting jacket

Renico

I was just wondering what you guys use as your main hunting/shooting jacket? Should be good in fall. Please tell what you got and why you like it:)

Haven't got one , but I would like to try the deerhunter recon jacket , and the deerhunter recon stormliner jacket for warmer days

The surplus windproof smock in whatever version best takes your fancy for between £10 - £30 depending on how well you buy. Add the surplus goretex liner jacket for use in very wet weather and you have the ideal clothing system for stalking.

I've recently switched to a German army flecktarn jacket with warm layers under it and it's been great so far. No more soaking from sweat while on the move (as it is always the case for me when wearing membrane) and it keeps you warm when you're stationary. Plenty of pockets, underarm zips for ventilation, lightweight and if I ruin it I'll get another one for £30.
I use merino base layers with Italian and British surplus midlayers. The whole set up cost me less than £100 (got the merino at a huge discount though) and all the layers can fit into a small rucksack to be pulled out as and when required.

As the days are getting colder, I do, however, wonder if I need to get more warm layers, so will be grateful for any advice on what warm layers to get.

I've recently switched to a German army flecktarn jacket with warm layers under it and it's been great so far. No more soaking from sweat while on the move (as it is always the case for me when wearing membrane) and it keeps you warm when you're stationary. Plenty of pockets, underarm zips for ventilation, lightweight and if I ruin it I'll get another one for £30.
I use merino base layers with Italian and British surplus midlayers. The whole set up cost me less than £100 (got the merino at a huge discount though) and all the layers can fit into a small rucksack to be pulled out as and when required.

As the days are getting colder, I do, however, wonder if I need to get more warm layers, so will be grateful for any advice on what warm layers to get.

Probably a Montane extreme smock or similar Buffalo product.

Don't know if there's any such thing as the perfect jacket, but one that I've used for a decade now which keeps me warm and dry, is quiet in the field is the Deerhunter Ram Jacket by Engel. Not a fan of fancy cammo (usually prefer DPM or plain dull olive) but its Advantage Timber pattern is good for our autumnal woodland backgrounds too. Very practical jacket, still water and wind proof and reasonably breathable too. Not outrageously expensive either.

Harkila Q. Tough, reversible, windproof, light shower proof, expensive, plenty of pockets, radio pockets for driven hunts.

I was just wondering what you guys use as your main hunting/shooting jacket? Should be good in fall. Please tell what you got and why you like it:)

I have a layerd summer outfit a layerd winter outfit + a pair of high seat only trousers and a walking stalking outfit

I havent found a truley waterproof coat that truly breaths, hence the winter summer thing

I am using Seeland Keeper for a winter coat (starting about now) and a Jahti Jakt in the summer or dry bright winter days

Keeper is soft and quiert well designed and fits me well despite aparently being 2 sizes too small for me??? and its waterproof

The Jahti is comfortable on cool summer mornings and the fleace + thermal top under layers make it very versitile again its well designed but its about as water resistant as a tea bag

ATB

Chasey

Hi Renico.
I just bought this jacket and trouser a month ago. I was out to hunting in the heavy rain and windy day and it was very comfortable to wear it and handling a shotgun.Also I was on the high seat all the night and it was rain and cold and kept my body dry and warm as well.The price is not too expensive but really worth it.
Percussion Rambouillet Jacket | Shooting Jacket - Available at New Forest Clothing
Deer Stalking trousers

Last edited:

Nahhh... no point repeating myself... everyone knows my views..

Suffice to say... THE perfect jacket does not exist, it has to be part of a layering system.. a single garment cannot possible do everything we need it to do, it is impossible and unfortunately is down to the laws of physics and nature conspiring against us!!! As RD says (welcome back by the way!) your dog is wearing the perfect coat!!

So... look to put together the BEST layering system you can and try to forget about individual jackets and coats... It needs to be light, breathable, versatile (covering many situations and wide variations in conditions) and comfortable.. and light... and breathable.... did I mention light and breathable??? And... leave the waterproof shell off unless it is actually raining!!!! with only a very small handful of exceptions, no matter what kind of "xxx-tex" fabric it is made of, putting a rainshell on is effectively like putting a bin bag on... it will trap warm moist air coming from your body, particularly if you are under load or are overheating (because you only have the one layer on and so can't regulate your temperature efficiently!).. when that hits the cold waterproof membrane it will condense and you will then get wet.. so.. your lovely 'breathable' waterproof jacket will actually do exactly the opposite you intended.. rather than keep you dry it will keep you wet!!! so LEAVE IT OFF UNLESS YOU NEED IT ON... your go to outer wear does not need to be waterproof unless it is raining!!! As I said, there are a small number of exeptions to the condensation problem which can be found if you look hard enough (like the bottom of this post!)

Also... remember... the best outerwear starts with your choice of base layer... get that wrong and you'll be cold, wet and miserable no matter what you are wearing! Merino is a good choice, has a great warmth to weight ratio, will keep your skin relatively dry and therefore warm (or comfortable if the air temp is high) and does not collect stink (not perfect but getting there!) modern hydrophobic synthetics are more efficient but will stink and tend to create static.

Oh.. and look at Kuiu! :rofl:

The first jacket/coat I now reach for is my Kuiu Kenai... unbelievably comfy, warm (in a ridiculously wide temperature range) almost silent, water repellent in light rain, windproof, massively breathable and my wife thinks I look fit in it too so always a bonus!! even though it is in camo, I wear it daily.. the Verde camo is very inoffensive for day to day wear but functional when out with the rifle!

KenaiJacket_VR_FR.jpg

Last edited:
About a century ago, a chap was sitting quietly in the dark on the shore of the Fleet behind Chesil Beach waiting to get a shot at ducks. He saw a dark shape pass in front of him and fired at what he assumed was a raft of duck. It was Tom Russell in his punt and the only thing that saved him from serious injury was the dog-skin waistcoat he was wearing.

About a century ago, a chap was sitting quietly in the dark on the shore of the Fleet behind Chesil Beach waiting to get a shot at ducks. He saw a dark shape pass in front of him and fired at what he assumed was a raft of duck. It was Tom Russell in his punt and the only thing that saved him from serious injury was the dog-skin waistcoat he was wearing.

That could set a new trend but not sure how cool an Irish Water Spaniel waistcoat would look.

K

Back