Thread: Can't get on with a green pill!

Can't get on with a green pill!

I went out this evening to try for a few rabbits with a green pill in the T67. The rabbits just didn't want to sit with the green beam on them like they do with a red one. Plus I found that I just did not get on with the green beam - It was as if my eyes just didn't seem to want to pick out on the rabbits in the grass and scrub land up like they do with red.
    Has anyone else found it hard to adapt to a green beam after being used to using red most of the time, and if so how have managed to adapt from red to green? Any hints, tips or techniques to help adapt please?

Edit: I maybe ought to add that I was using my other T67 with a red pill in it for spotting and could pick uo the rabbits very easily but as soon as I put the rifle on them with the green lamp I was struggling!
    Last edited by FrenchieBoy; 20-10-2015 at 20:59. Reason: Edit to add more information.

I find the green better than anything else, rabbits and foxes are very calm in it. I've used it for years, I guess it will take time to get used to it.

Different nights seem to produce different results with the green and red lights from my experience, some nights the eyes come back great with one colour and not the other and visa versa, all I can think it is the weather conditions! We take a red and a green through the nm800 and just pick the colour on the night. Green usually gives better results in regards to rabbits sitting in my opinion

Out of interest why did you change?
    only ever used red and Amber.
    never had too many lap shy runners
    in fact the foxes seem to ignore red completely round here!

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    Out of interest why did you change?
    only ever used red and Amber.
    never had too many lap shy runners
    in fact the foxes seem to ignore red completely round here!
    That's a fair question with a simple answer,
    I wanted to try a green in case I found that the rabbits or foxes started getting a little "educated" to the red beam. I had also read that a green sometimes made a difference to the end results i.e. Bigger bags as rabbits and foxes were sometimes less spooked by a green lamp!
    For me it was about "experimenting" to see which gave me better results!
    Maybe I just need to persevere a little (Or a lot) more, but getting my eyes used to a green beam seems difficult for me as I am so used to working with a red beam!

I also use a T67 with green pill, it did take a bit of getting used to, but I always used to scan with amber (as I still do) and shoot with white light mounted on the scope, with the green I do find the animals appear less bothered by it, but then the first ever lamped rabbit or fox would have found light a novelty. I do like the green now I'm used to it, sometimes though I struggle to locate the quarry as it has such a tight beam, practice makes perfect I suppose.

SD Regular
    As above - it's condition - and landscape - dependent. I find green far easier on my eye personally - but it doesn't work well for me on lush grass - but really good on stubble for example. Need to try it in lots of different circumstances - it's a very different part of the spectrum for your eyes to adjust to. I prefer a good amber over both green and red...if I lamp.....!!
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    As above - it's condition - and landscape - dependent. I find green far easier on my eye personally - but it doesn't work well for me on lush grass - but really good on stubble for example. Need to try it in lots of different circumstances - it's a very different part of the spectrum for your eyes to adjust to. I prefer a good amber over both green and red...if I lamp.....!!
    You might have "hit the nail on the head) here Eric. All of my permissions are grass land (None are ever ploughed or sown with crops). I do believe that a green might well have an advantage on ploughed or recently sown crops but I was struggling to pick out the rabbits in the grass, some of which was quite long in places.

I found green a pain to usewhen the surrounding vegetation is very green too as I couldn't pick out much definition as everything seemed to blend together unlike the red LED which gave a very good picture. Green was ok on stubble but for 90% of my shooting it just wasn't great.