Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying without a slot

Buying without a slot

Hi all,

My FAC allows me to own one .308 CF with moderator which I have filled with my Tikka. Can I buy another .308 CF (private, second hand sale - rifle to be sent to my local RFD) whilst I wait for my FAC to be returned with an additional slot for the new .308?

Also, I have an open slot for a semi-auto .22 which I have never filled - can this be replaced with the additional .308 slot I will need to buy the new rifle and still classed as a variation? I ask because I'm wanting to replace my permission for a LR with a CF rifle and don't know if this is permissible under the rules of "variation".

Ive read that variations generally have a faster turn around - is this right?

The local RFD will hold the new rifle till my FAC is returned with the additional .308 slot.

I hope that lot makes sense? Any help in this matter will be gratefully received as I've read numerous rules n regulations and am now completely confused!

Thanks.

Stu.

Sure someone will set you straight with the exact law, but basically you can "buy" the rifle and have the current "holder" of it to put it with the RFD. You may not posess or "Hold" it until you have the authority to do so shown on your ticket.
    As for you variation I would suggest you just apply for a further rifle to be held. Assuming you have good reason for it there should be no problem, and there would be no need to "trade" the rim fire for the additional CF.

I'm pretty sure that you are not supposed to even put a deposit on a firearm that you do not have permission to possess (Ie a slot) let alone buy it, according to the act.
    im sure someone will dig out the appropriate chapter and verse.
    Last edited by Druid; 20-10-2015 at 21:10. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Druid View Post
    I'm pretty sure that you are not supposed to even put a deposit on a firearm that you do not have permission to possess (Ie a slot) let alone buy it, according to the act.

This is Cheshire's view on it.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I told Kent Police please hurry up with my cert as I had already purchased my Sako months ago

and it was sitting with my RFD

They didnt bat an eyelid and the issue was never raised by the RFD who sent it down, the RFD who looked after it nor my firearms officer

Same with my 308 I put a deposit on the gun then applied for my variation

I didnt want to do it the other way round because I was wiiting for the right rifel in either 30 06 or 308 and the 308 happened first

I did however check with my firarms man he was happy for the variation in principle but he just the FO and doesent have final say of course

ATB

Chasey
    Last edited by Chasey; 21-10-2015 at 07:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasey View Post
    I told Kent Police please hurry up with my cert as I had already purchased my Sako months ago

and it was sitting with my RFD

They didnt bat an eyelid and the issue was never raised by the RFD who sent it down, the RFD who looked after it nor my firearms officer

Same with my 308 I put a deposit on the gun then applied for my variation

I didnt want to do it the other way round because I was wiiting for the right rifel in either 30 06 or 308 and the 308 happened first

I did however check with my firarms man he was happy for the variation in principle but he just the FO and doesent have final say of course

ATB

Chasey

and I was told that they liked to be supplied with the serial number/ make/ model etc if you had something set aside as it saved extra work at a later date.

was years ago so may have changed but up to 100% deposit is fine But its not legally yours

I can't see any reason why I wouldn't be able to buy an old shotgun or rifle at say Holt's, have it delivered to PKL for restoration, then have it delivered to Dicksons in Edinburgh to be sold on my behalf as a commission sale (apart from the fact I'd probably make a loss). At all times the gun/rifle would be on an RFD's books & I would simply have a financial interest in it.

Is it possible that some fld's are confusing ownership (and even having a financial interest) with possession?

Just another demonstration of the twisted path of licensing we all have to tread.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!