Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: stalking where someone else has a pheasant syndicate

stalking where someone else has a pheasant syndicate

A query I'd be very grateful for advice and opinions on:

I have a possible opportunity to stalk some land where there is already a pheasant syndicate (and where it seems that the syndicate have been allowed to do a bit of casual stalking as well).

I am concerned about exactly how this is likely to work, and whether it is likely to be a political minefield.

Is this common, and if so, what would people recommend as the best way to manage the relationship with both landowner and syndicate?

It strikes me that if I am not extremely sensitive, I could seriously piss a lot of people off - so all advice very, very gratefully recieved.

Definitely a political minefield!

I think a lot depends on whether or not you have paid for the opportunity. The Pheasant syndicate I presume pay for their rights and would not like anyone else not to respect those rights. If the landowner has chosen to sell the stalking rights separately and you have purchased those rights then the Pheasant syndicate should respect that. Work with them sensitively, don't trample through their covers on shoot mornings and ask them where they are having trouble with deer knocking feeders over etc. and you should get on famously. You might even agree to take one or two of them out stalking with you on occasions.

I think the problem comes if you have not paid for the rights commercially. They then see you as someone who has got for nothing something that was "included in their package". You can still work with them and involve them to try to overcome the issues, but the issue will be there.
    So much to learn and so little time left

Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    Definitely a political minefield!

I think a lot depends on whether or not you have paid for the opportunity. The Pheasant syndicate I presume pay for their rights and would not like anyone else not to respect those rights. If the landowner has chosen to sell the stalking rights separately and you have purchased those rights then the Pheasant syndicate should respect that. Work with them sensitively, don't trample through their covers on shoot mornings and ask them where they are having trouble with deer knocking feeders over etc. and you should get on famously. You might even agree to take one or two of them out stalking with you on occasions.

I think the problem comes if you have not paid for the rights commercially. They then see you as someone who has got for nothing something that was "included in their package". You can still work with them and involve them to try to overcome the issues, but the issue will be there.
    I agree with the above but you will be facing antipathy whether you have paid for the stalking or not - this will range from odd behaviour to potentially frustrating requirements on days dates and times. Who has foxing rights ? If shoot members have actively done both then they will be annoyed at best that this element of the shooting has gone, even though they may have been asked to pay less (unlikely).
    I would ask to meet the shoot organisers and talk to them about the potential difficulties and benefits and see if you can establish a rapport. If you dont, or if there arent many deer making it worthwhile, the stalking rights might be a bit of a poisoned chalice !

I would suggest a meeting with the shoot captain and the landowner at the same time 'purely on the grounds of safety' and a proper risk assessment - pretty sure by the end of the meeting you will all know exactly where you stand and be good friends.

Quote Originally Posted by N1mr0d View Post
    I would suggest a meeting with the shoot captain and the landowner at the same time 'purely on the grounds of safety' and a proper risk assessment - pretty sure by the end of the meeting you will all know exactly where you stand and be good friends.
    Agree with the above comment. Without this meeting you are, at best speculating, or at worst becoming paranoid about issues that might not be an issue in the first place. Just try to keep an open mind and look at things from their perspective as well. But, don't take up the permission if you are not totally confident about the other two parties. It is not going to be much fun stalking if you are under pressure from teh landowner or the syndicate.

All sorts of problems can arise from this sort of situation! One of the biggest being who has access to the land and when. Pheasants need feeding, dogging in and the other jobs that inevitably need doing at odd times. How you fit stalking in around this will be a problem. Also if there are other syndicate members stalking even occasionally, all that would have to be sorted. Bit of a minefield I think.

An option might be some sort of online calendar, which all parties have access to?

in theory then it would be possible for time to be blocked off for shoot activities and for you to book time for stalking.

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    An option might be some sort of online calendar, which all parties have access to?

in theory then it would be possible for time to be blocked off for shoot activities and for you to book time for stalking.

Funny you should mention this - I proposed a similar set up on another bit of land, along with a Google doc to record deer sightings so I could keep track of numbers and locations.

The landowner looked at me like I had 2 heads!

One of the original questions was whether it's common. In my experience, the answer is: pretty common, yes.

I would say be sensitive, obviously, but definitely crack on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    Funny you should mention this - I proposed a similar set up on another bit of land, along with a Google doc to record deer sightings so I could keep track of numbers and locations.

The landowner looked at me like I had 2 heads!
    Point taken, lol. Some landowners are more into information technology than others.